[First Post] Suggestion on el-cheapo 8-channel preamp project?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr5f6a

Hey everyone. This is my first post here at GroupDIY.

I've been, casually,  poking around the forum for the passed few days; and, there seems a mountain of good info here. There's maybe a little too much information from my current, newbish perspective.

I'm looking to make an 8-channel preamp that I can use with an el-cheapo A to D, interface thing (like the Zoom R24). Basically, it's my perception that I could improve my recordings by one-upping the preamps in the cheap interfaces I'm using. It wouldn't have to be a complete 8-channel design. Matter of fact, it could be a simple suggestion for one topology over the other. I could probably design the PSU section if that were lacking.

I'm recording garage/surf rock mostly. So vintage flavoring is a plus; but, not at the expense of simplicity or cost effectiveness. I don't know how how cheap an 8-channel with transformer inputs can get. I would say that I have a slight preference for discrete over op-amp; but, don't really care. Tube is probably too expensive unless it's starved filament (yuck).

Remember, i'm not looking for a kit. I'd like to source all the parts myself.

Any suggestions?  ;)

el cheapo is not what you want in a mic pre. reasonable is what you want. More over DIY takes much time and if you break it down to $$ will cost more then most pre amps on the market but the few that do this do it for getting knowledge and other things and yes you do end up with a nice pre at the end.

Now to answer your qestion, get out while you can and walk away.

if you insist, might be better to mod something the first time around.

You are right on so many levels. I really don't need to be starting any more projects.  My main gigging amp, an old blackface fender, needs some benchtime and I have an old Supro that needs to be reworked. That's not to mention the myriad of other little electronics projects that I'm in the midst of, or that giant pile of dirty laundry in the middle of my bedroom floor that hasn't diminished in size in a few months.  Ohh the single life.

Thanks for the discouragement; maybe now I'll have time to clean my apartment and start the dating again.  I actually gave up women for a while to pick up the soldering iron again. I'm not sure which is more satisfying or more inexpensive. Although there's certain things that a woman can do that '59 Bassman can't, and vice-versa. I my ideal world both have a nice top end and bottom end though.

You can't build anything better than the mass produced El cheapo that's already out there. At least not for the same price. They have the quantity advantage.

The SSL9k project always gets a big thumbs up from me, its easy and cheap to get the parts (the LM394 dual super matched transistor is the only tricky one), and it sounds great, it just presents the source as the microphone hears it. I use mine more than any of my other preamps.

id say an 8 channels full of API 312 preamps!
I have a client for whom i built a 4 channels and hes just talking about how good they are!
You can have 2 x 4 with different transformers!

Thanks

Let your girlfriend help in some way , big points including them [ Sharing ]
time , space,  budget . Do some research first
no transformer = cheaper , sometimes transformer= Mojo
I always think pairs are good , make compatible ones if in the same case ,
separate if space is not a concern

Thanks for the suggestions, all around. They'll certainly aid my research into this project.

I've heard of people modifying old Altec mixers for this purpose. Any thoughts on that idea?

Another thought: I'm working with the assumption that even if I were to base this around a TI or THAT chip with a minimum supporting components and garden-variety coupling caps (etc) I'll likely achieve better performance than the built-in preamps of the Zoom R16. After all, the thing was designed to operate on USB bus power, which is 5V rail-to-rail at best. I could easily start to believe that a well laid-out preamp with nothing more than general purpose opamps in SE in and SE out configuration with a nice, hefty, linear power supply instead of USB power or a rinky-dink switch-mode wallwart would perform better. I might still run into headroom issues if I'm going into the Zoom but thing should be improved, right?

As far as the whole women thing. The acid test for any new woman in my life:
If I can easily finish projects with out her complaining that she feels neglected she's a keeper.
I've actually employed this rule of thumb. She used to get so pissed off when I'd tell her "no. I need to finish this little booster pedal by the gig on Friday." That's when I knew it wasn't gonna work.

Also, trying to date and paying for dinners doesn't help my project budget. This is a bit of a conundrum. My father claims that I need to go for more "down to earth" women. I've yet to meet one.

I can also agree with the statement that I'm not gonna make this thing cheaper than Behringer. That's OK. Although, a Behringer would probably also include some features that I don't need, like phantom power. And if I do end up needing it, I can add it.

Regards,
Josh

IF ,you can find an old mono tube mixer , making direct outs is an easy place to start ,
hard to find anything , tube or old that someone doesn't want 10 hundred bux for .

There's needs to be a tech dating site , but pretty may not come without expensive

Build a that 1512 barebones app notes pre, unbalanced direct out. Build it on vero or those radioshack dip prototype boards. That will make for a very cheap quality build.

mr5f6a said:
I've heard of people modifying old Altec mixers for this purpose. Any thoughts on that idea?

Get 8 of these to start with before I change my mind.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=44809.0

Back