Anyone tried these switches?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardishead

I have used those cheapo Chinese blue switches, but they are not very good...
The biggest problem I experienced is that the two sections did not switch at the same time!
Sometimes section A had already switched to position 11 (for example), while section B was still in position 10.
I took the switches apart and glued (carefully!) the rotor to the shaft, this helped to improve the situation.
The main problem is that the hole for the shaft is a bit too big.
After the modification the switches worked as they should, but they need some attention.

Those Russian ones look pretty rugged.

I've used the chinese ones on a number of occasions and have never had a problem.... they don't "feel" as good as a greyhill when switching, but they do the job nicely

I have used a pair of the chinese ones (in a Hampton LCMP based preamp).  I also used a pair of the goldpoint based elma ones (with surface mount components)

The big difference is... the Elma feels great, makes a small click, and is easy to turn)
The chinese is hard to turn, and makes a big click (actually loud).  Bigger knob makes turning it easier.

The other big difference is space behind the panel.

The chinese ones are REALLY big.  I couldn't put them next to each other,  they wouldn't leave enough room.  I had to alternate goldpoint/chinese.

(I have ordered 2 more goldpoint, I like the preamp and I don't like the asymmetry - because it bothers me aesthetically )  but I will re-use the chinese again... They work fine, as long as you use big knobs and have the space.

Latest posts

Back