Trying to figure out the brand of a potentiometer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sister Ray

I'm fixing up a unit I recently bought... The front-panel was bent, and that basically broke all the pot-meters off the board.

Now, I'm trying to find replacements, if at all possible the same brand, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what the brand is.

I've attached two pictures of the pots, I hope someone here can help me identify the brand
(click on the thumbnails to get a larger version):

Thanks for the help!

Sister Ray

They are Preh. Not sure if these are still made.

You can get similar from Omeg, though not sure if they still do them in square cases, and you may have to order more than you need unless you can find them in stock somewhere.

Wow, that was quick, thanks a lot!

I don't really care about square or round form-factor, as long as the pin-spacing and height is the same (which I can measure).

Regards,

Sister Ray

Sadly.....

They seem unable to accept my PayPal account here in the USA.

Sister Ray said:
Wow, that was quick, thanks a lot!

I don't really care about square or round form-factor, as long as the pin-spacing and height is the same (which I can measure).

Regards,

Sister Ray

No paty(

One more question on this:

There are 2 types of potentiometers on this unit, and I'm trying to figure out the taper:

A dual gang 47K-F (which I assume is reverse log), and the other is marked 47K+ , and I have no
clue what the "+" designation is?

Regards,

Sister Ray

hook them up to an ohm meter,

check the half way resistance,

reverse log with have a little over half the total R, is this right?

log will have less than half,

linear will have half the r

Yes, measure half-way.

Log will have most (like around 7:1) of the resistance in the upper half (towards fully up).

Rev. Log has just the reverse.

Linear is linear.

nashkato said:
;D
are you fixing a Höfex ?

Indeed. Well spotted :D Seen your post in another tread, are you doing the same?
(If that's the case, keep me up to date. If I figure out the correct taper of the pots, I'm tempted to get small pots with solder lugs, and then just wire them to the board instead. I have only found one single type of pot that has the correct dimensions, it's the Tyco series 51 - in fact the type 54 for single gang, and the type 55 for the dual gang, but they're impossible to find).

In regards to measuring the resistance of the pots: impossible, the little silicon plate with the traces has been broken off... so I have no access to the traces!
(So still trying to figure out what the taper for 47K+ pots is)

Regards,

Sister Ray

nashkato said:
i got a höfex , but was fixing a Höf dynamic Master .
i´ll measure the pots tomorrow and let you know .

Excellent, thank you so much!
(I have a Dynamic Master too, if yours is broken, it's worth to fix it!)

Regards,

Sister Ray

Just had a reply from the original engineer of the unit, and all pots are logarithmic.

Regards,

Sister Ray

Back