TC Electronic M5000 PSU problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helterbelter

Yesterday my brother in law brought a defective M5000 to me. He got it from a videocompany that got bankrupt. He asked me if I could look into it, so......

I opened it up. The Psu looked like it sat in an oven for a while. I have disconnected the outputcable so the other boards wouldn't get damaged (just to be sure). With  the power up I got a flash, and the fuse got blown immediately.
I have searched this forum, and found some interesting reading about M3000 psu stuff, but not anything about the 5000.

My first question ; can somebody here tell me the voltages this psu should deliver, and to which pins ? That should get me started.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Thanks for the responses !

s2udio:
That's for the 1HE M series units, I read the thread with the great posts of Svart. Unfortunately, this is a different PSU, and it has got a blac,k fried subboard.

Gyraf:
Yes, I thought of contacting TC, or to send it to the dutch repairservice, but for several reasons I want to try to get it working with another PSU first :
I'm not sure the remaining parts will function, so repair might get expensive. (The psu itself will be close to 150-200 euro, if available of course).

It might even be it's not repairable anymore : I read somewhere that if the backupbattery gets empty, the firmware will be lost, and it's not possible to put it in again.... (well, according to what I have read). The M5000 is put in storage (hopefully just a few) years ago, the bu battery will be empty for sure. There's no additional info about this unit.
Also, it's not mine, my brother in law just brought it in to get it fixed, and then to sell it again. This M5000 also hasn't got the ADA boards, just 2 dsp boards with digital in and out.

Maybe I'll consider to buy it from him and keep it myself, but then I'm facing the trouble that I can't hook it up in my setup, because I don't have free aes/ebu ports available.....
I'm curious for the sound though.

So, the reason why I want to know the pinout of the psu, is just to see if it's still in working condition (besides the psu, which is SMPS btw). If it does, i'll buy an original psu from TC.

so,

anybody willing to open up his M5000 to measure the voltages ?

Ahh the linear one,  then can,t be to hard to replace ,or am i missing somthin,custom TX regulator ?
Or a pic would still be nice....hmmm

Most TC stuff uses the standard rails, +5, +15, -15. And on some units they marked the voltages at the main board end. We need photos!!!!

Okay, here it is. As said, it's the SMPS one, not the the linear.
By the way, the caps have been replaced earlier, I noticed. And the smaller board doesn't look that fried, even though it is black.

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

That little board will be the problem....the SG3842 chip is the pwm controller.
CNY17 is the feedback opto,and the LM431 are dual programable shunt regulators.
Dont look burned from the pic,but ?
I would be tempted to remove it and have a bash at replacing all the chips on it,
And replace all the electros around that circuit,as well as checking all the hot running resistors.
Its looks very similar to the smaller standard TC psu(circuit wise).
They all suffer the same problem imho.....overheating by being stacked close in racks with no proper
ventilation .
As already stated +- 15v and 5v is the usual for TC boxes ,with two wires for standby operation.

Yes, well, in case nobody can tell me the pinout of the PSU, then I might order the semiconductors and give it a try.....

But in case somebody knows what voltages this psu spits out...... that would be a lot easier for me. It's only to check the remaining stuff for function.

zayance said:
If nothing, Shoot this guy a PM, if he still has it?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/127937-tc-m5000.html

Hi V : )
thank you, I have sent him an email. I hope he can help me out. Dual 15 and 5 volts.... Building a linear PSU with these voltages should be fairly easy : )

s2udio said:
helterbelter said:
With  the power up I got a flash, and the fuse got blown immediately.
Ah missed that bit,the chopper fet is dead short as well then.

Okay, good to know. By the looks of it I'd better replace everything, in case I'd go that route.

jensenmann said:
The standard SMPS supply is underrated if it´s loaded with many cards. TC recommended to upgrade to the M6000 PSU at a small fee of 450€  :p

I contacted the dutch TC repairservice, and I got the reply that they don't service M5000's anymore. They don't have spare PSU's for the 5000 either.
Maybe they have a PSU for the 6000, but........ spending 450 euro for a new PS is insane, hahaha.

However !, 

the guy from Gearslutz responded to my email. His tech made another PSU for the M5000, and that one's still working great. His tech is currently looking for his notes, so, I hope to be able to build one after all. If not, then the M5000 will go to the scrap heap without the dsp boards.

OP: did you succeed with the PSU repair? Wondering about it, because I have an M5000 as well and the PSU died as well and I am looking for a fix!

:( I see... Did the other guy from gearslutz.com reply you with any specification about the voltages and amperes? I just saw somebody mentioned +15V / -15V / +5V... I might want to give it a try to build a PSU

Back