Where to insert HPF and LPF.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

After some testing and experimentation I managed to get all the cutoff frequencies I need for the LP and HP.
However, I noticed a big increase in noise (about 15db) in the HP filter.
I'm pretty sure this is caused by the cable I run from (-) of C82 to a board where I have all the switchable caps (for different HP Fcs) and then back to the (+) of C82.

I tried to keep the cable as sort as possible but I still get an unusable SNR.
Are there any solutions to this problem?
(I believe it's a common topology and I've seen many units that have cables running from the caps to the switches.)

thanks
Mike

warpie said:
However, I noticed a big increase in noise (about 15db) in the HP filter.
What noise? Hum, buzz or hiss? If it's buzz, that may be due to the fact that one of the wires goes to a very sensitive node (the base of VT1). This wire should be thoroughly shielded.

abbey road d enfer said:
What noise? Hum, buzz or hiss? If it's buzz, that may be due to the fact that one of the wires goes to a very sensitive node (the base of VT1). This wire should be thoroughly shielded.

It looks like being an issue with the base of VT1. The frequency analyzer shows me a big peak at around 50Hz.
The whole circuit is not in an enclosure yet but I doubt I'll get 15db less noise in a box.
Before adding the HPF the noise difference between bypassed and 'in' was less than 2 db.
I'll investigate more andd come back with more questions..
In the meantime feel free to suggest solutions  ;D

warpie said:
abbey road d enfer said:
It looks like being an issue with the base of VT1. The frequency analyzer shows me a big peak at around 50Hz.
The whole circuit is not in an enclosure yet but I doubt I'll get 15db less noise in a box.
I disagree with that. You have large lengths of sensitive antenna picking up all available garbage.

Back