Using the SB4000

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

Anyone have a good starting point for mixing with the SB4000? I'm liking the Tilt 1 setting with a 10ms attack, about 3-4dB overall compression. Trying to get good results with a shorter attack time. Using mono sidechain, hard to hear a difference when I switch to stereo mode, maybe I'm not pushing it enough though.

What are you trying to do with it?

I have 2 units, one for drum destruction and one for the mix bus.
Not quite sure what you mean by using mono side chain/stereo.  The button to the left of the compressor "IN" is the internal side chain.  (switch next to the VU is the external side chain for things like ducking).

I am talking mix bus compression. There's an internal sidechain mono/stereo button.  I think that in mono mode the sidechain detector affects both channels equally, in stereo, they react independently. For me, I'm liking it in the mono position I think. Although I can't put my finger on why.... just sounds "right" I guess. It's a subtle thing though.

I've just kind of left it where it is and just mix through it all the time and it's pretty cool!

Ahh gotcha yeah,(sorry i wasnt looking at the unit when i replied)  I tend to use the MONO for when im killin drums and use the stereo for mix bus.  (its really a matter of taste, but there's definite sonic differences).  I feel the mono acts a bit more aggressive, which isn't what I'm lookin for on the bus.

For mix bus duties, i tend to leave the HPF off as it does effect the sound quite a bit.  (i use the T2 for drums though, really brings out the cymbals).  I also tend to be VERY conservative with all the settings, ala 2:1, .3 attack (don't want to kill ALL the transients), auto release.  As far as the threshold goes, i bring it down to where I'm JUST starting to hit the peaks to put that glue in place.  My philosophy on bus compression is "if you can HEAR it, its too much".

On the mix bus the standard setting is ratio 2:1, 3 ms attack (try 1ms for a less aggressive sound), .1-.6 release and minimal GR (with the needle just moving very slightly). This provides a little punch and glue without being too obvious IMO.

I go a touch more aggressive on the 2 buss (depending on the song).  Usually 4:1 ratio, attack 10, release .3, hpf 90, floating around 2-4db reduction, stereo sidechain.  That seems to be the magic spot for me.

My old fav was 10ms attack and 300ms release.

for some more recent stuff I've been trying out 30ms with auto release with good results.

I once tried 1ms attack with 100ms release, but the FCC came in and shut me down, apparently that abuse of equipment.

(im using GSSL though...I'm assuming they react similar....  8))

Please play this sooong on the radio... ba ba, ba ba ba

Please play this sooong on the radio... ba ba, ba ba ba

Now it's stuck in my head.

Anyone that knows what I'm referring to is offically cool in my book  ;D

LOL
not often i get click happy on youtube but i got here in 3 steps from the vid in the last post.
had to share the link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2l6CPna4M&feature=related

Latest posts

Back