Hi - Im new here

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam

Hi,

Im new to the DIY forum.  Ive been learning to build guitars in my spare time and Im also interested in learning about audio electronics. 

Ive built a small 5w tube amp kit before, but it was pretty much joining the dots and solering everything up using the instructions.

Id like to learn as much as I can about the basics of electronics so I can at least attempt to know what each component is doing in the circuit, so I will be reading plenty of old threads before I start to contribute! 

Im currently trying out a few diy guitar pedal builds on vero board so i can get some practice in soldering small components.  Basic guitar wiring is very forgiving in terms of being aware of heat/sensitivity of components so I think the practice will do me good.

I will eventually be trying to build up a 1176 comp kit for a friend, but I plan to try and actually understand what I am doing instead of following pictures/wiring guides.

Anyway, I will try to keep the noob questions to a minimum but like all forums, sometimes finding the answer is not that easy unless you know keywords/products to search for etc.

Thanks in advance!
Sam

Hi Sam,

If you haven't already done so, go to the Lab and peruse the Meta Meta at the top of the page. You will find all manner of threads in there, most of which are arranged into specific subjects, including several on the various 1176 builds.

You'll suffer lots of frustration & failure but all that never exceeds the thrill & pleasure
you'll get from a project that works, built by your own hand.
Above all, enjoy the endless learning process. It keeps your brain alive.

Frank B.

I commend you on learning before you leap into an 1176 build. That's the way to do it, as it's not the most simple of circuits. Lot's of ways to make mistakes and the calibration can be a confusing process...

thanks for the welcome and advice.

The 101 meta threads seem to be a good starting point! 

The guitar pedal build im doing is a simple fet boost circuit, only a handful of components on it.  So I will be trying to figure out whats going on with that and hopefully pick up some knowledge as I make stuff.

As with most things, Ive found I am better to learn something by just doing it... so long as you don't try something so difficult it will put you off.

the 1176 build doesnt look too easy, but I don't think it is impossible.  The bits that worry me the most are the calibration and (most of all!) fault finding if something is not right.  Without any knowledge of how the guts of it are meant to be working I would be lost trying to figure out any issues with it.

Hi there ,
I'm in UK too ( Leeds ) and also a guitar player who has turned to building things for myself over the past few years - so please drop me a line if you need some help - I'll try if I can !

suggest Jack Ormans boosters , Rangemaster and fuzzfaces are good projects to get you started
Larger valve amps after that, and studio gear after that. This way you'll hone your soldering skills ready for the more delicate pcb layouts in some of the studio gear.  I'd recommend GSSL and G Pultecs as great intermediate projects.

NB - BE CAREFUL AROUND VALVE CIRCUITS - ALWAYS FOLLOW SAFETY PROCEDURES
I've been thrown across the room a couple of times with a guitar in one hand and an open amp chassis in the other - needless to say I dont do it that way anymore....

Rgds
PeteC

PeteC said:
NB - BE CAREFUL AROUND VALVE CIRCUITS - ALWAYS FOLLOW SAFETY PROCEDURES
I've been thrown across the room a couple of times with a guitar in one hand and an open amp chassis in the other - needless to say I dont do it that way anymore....

Be sure to use a cheap guitar.  :p

last time it was my 1994 McCarty Goldtop - which luckily didnt suffer !!  I was hyper for about an hour - but equally could have been permanently still.

I'm scrupulous now around valve circuits. and i've built a lot of 'em...

PeteC

Back