...Manufactured Only for N-e-v-e ? ...Really?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

hello
found a news from last A_E_S convention...
it's about a 500 format audio "UK" compressor

and over the transformer i see "manufactured only for ...."
(check image)
then really not available for diy ?  :'(
peace
r2d2

Attachments

• only for n-ev-e 1.png
    only for n-ev-e 1.png
    326 KB · Views: 56
If you look on the AMS Neve web site I seem to remember they are doing some re-issues of classic Neve modules which include iron only available to themselves.

Cheers

ian

Hello ian
do you mean the irons are made inside the ams factory
and not by external "third parts" supplyer?
peace
r2d2

ruffrecords said:
If you look on the AMS Neve web site I seem to remember they are doing some re-issues of classic Neve modules which include iron only available to themselves.

Cheers

ian

It means the 3rd party is under contract to make a custom part, and honor the order channel as sole distributor.  There may be little difference from another stock part.

How much of this (very) small difference, between this one and the Carnhills, will be left by the time the record is mixed and mastered, do you think?

ruckus328 said:
Hank Dussen said:
How much of this (very) small difference, between this one and the Carnhills, will be left by the time the record is mixed and mastered, do you think?

Probably around $300 per channel  ;D

hah! expensive stickers.

Konfutse says "He is not fool who asks, the fool is the one that pays"

Commentary at the time Neve first started reissuing products suggested initial transformer samples distorted earlier, and had higher relative distortion at low freq. 

Isn't that what the kids want now anyway?  Apparently everyone is into overdriving modules like these and paying a lot for a passive post attenuator to get it under control.  Bah. 

Neve then ordered improved transformers supposedly matching original design specs, performance included.

emrr said:
It means the 3rd party is under contract to make a custom part, and honor the order channel as sole distributor.  There may be little difference from another stock part.

That's right. For example, I have custom wound input transformers from Sowter for my tube mic pre designs. It even has a Sowter type number but it is not available on their web site. AMS basically did the same sort of thing except I suspect they had a bit more input into the design than I did!

Cheers

Ian

emrr said:
Neve then ordered improved transformers supposedly matching original design specs, performance included.

It is worth remembering that before he started making mixers, Rupert Neve work for some years for a transformer manufacturer.

Cheers

Ian

You know , the price compare ads , find a better deal and we'll beat it .....................
just make a different model number for the same product

:'( .... only a comparision between that " only for " and some clone ....
could reveal the "differences"..

...waiting for ...

peace!

heard the compressor at the VK nooth today. I must say it performed well in the fact it compressed and limited as adjusted. Now since I didn't recorded the source material and was just sitting with it for a moment, it bring out good character in the drums. I am not sure how much they wish to charge for those things but It sound tasteful

As far as the ot, when neve started using st ives And then carnhill, they would recieve them and do inhouse testing rejecting more than 75% until the suppliers started doing the testing per neves specs. This is why the same part number from regular channels would not neccesarily impart the neve sound. So i assume that is what they are talking about. All ive gleaned from the testing is that it is a sqare wave test. Dont know what is passing or failing, but there it is.

Latest posts

Back