[GROUP BUY] G9 in 51X format (CLOSED, ALL STOCK GONE)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking white w/ black markings, it's kindof my thing. :D

Okay, no answer from my local fab house for the brackets, but I've been banging this out in emachinshop. Their software has gotten so much better since I used it years ago! The brackets should be about 10 bucks each as well. But that's at a quantity of 25 or there about.

If I can get commitment for 25 sets of faceplate/bracket, I could get them out for 16 per set.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 31
Well, yeah, if you can get us brackets and fronts too, I'm definitely in for two (of those) for me to go with the PCBs!

this is looking good. Funny thing is, I spent all last night designing the bracket, and today the original fab shop finally got back to me with a quote. And it's about the same price too.

I will be shipping pcbs and metal together, Don't want to spend any more time at the post office than i have to.

what's the price for a bundle?  PCB, Bracket, Faceplate.  any chances on a group buy of transformers or other parts to bring costs down?  Surely if there are 30+ buys happening, the potential for a group buy is there, no?

Well, I suppose the combined shipping would be the bundled discount. With all the time this is going to take to organize, sort, pack, ship, bill etc, I don't think I can handle any more group buys of smaller off-the shelf components. That's what distributors are for. There comes a time where saving 3 bucks on a transformer is going to cost somebody time or money. In our case, we trade our time for cost savings when building our DIY gear, instead of buying a fully built and tested piece. I've burned myself on a couple of jobs to learn how valuable your free time is, and I'd rather be recording or building gear than sorting and packing boxes. (although, i wouldn't mind if that were my full-time job)

I would consider handling grp buy for Canada , but I think it's the critical or hard to get parts that are most
important . [ don't want to burn someone out picking resisters .............]
Grp buy distributors should be in the country of greatest sales or the transformer  / parts manufacturer
to lessen the number of packages going across the border  . I like Lundhal but never see them cheap ,
anyone close to Cinemag ?  keep in mind individual taxes & duties  plus an extra layer of shipping .

If we as a grp could strike a deal for grp discount when ordering from some suppliers , that would be great
Who has bargining power & negoiater skills ?

gemini86 said:
Well, I suppose the combined shipping would be the bundled discount. With all the time this is going to take to organize, sort, pack, ship, bill etc, I don't think I can handle any more group buys of smaller off-the shelf components. That's what distributors are for. There comes a time where saving 3 bucks on a transformer is going to cost somebody time or money. In our case, we trade our time for cost savings when building our DIY gear, instead of buying a fully built and tested piece. I've burned myself on a couple of jobs to learn how valuable your free time is, and I'd rather be recording or building gear than sorting and packing boxes. (although, i wouldn't mind if that were my full-time job)

This is exactly right Rodney, been there, done that, filed under "no good deed goes unpunished". I enjoy the hunt a bit, and not being able to get everything from one place. It makes you feel like you're doing something other than making instant coffee. In my view, I'm saving well over 50% of an assembled price, even though they don't exist in the retail market! Anyway you look at it, it's a unique opportunity to create an unobtainium, and a great deal. ;)

So, spent all last night working on importing the front panel into kicad. It's probably not the best for this type of work, but it's what I know. Let me say that importing silkscreen artwork is a bastard.

I wanted the silkscreen to be super high resolution, so the resulting silkscreen gerber is 56MB. I guess that should do it.

I found this nifty online 3d gerber viewer that renders them much nicer than kicad does. Just imagine the solder mask white and the silkscreen black.

Attachments

• g951xfront.png
    g951xfront.png
    175 KB · Views: 110
notice the back is a solid plane with exposed pads that contact the rack mating surface. I'm thinking about doing these in ENIG gold plating to ensure there is no corrosion over time, and to make good electrical contact for shielding.

Attachments

• g951xback.png
    g951xback.png
    110 KB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Back