Rigol DS1052E scope on deal extreme, too cheap, is this legit? [edit, it is!]

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingston

Hi guys,

I'm on the market for a decent oscilloscope, and read good things about Rigol DS1052E here on the forum and outside as well. So much in fact I've decided to get one. Heck, it can even be hacked to 100Mhz should I ever need it.

[they've made it more difficult with later revisions, but it should still be possible]

When googling it the first link is to http://www.dealextreme.com where they are selling it for a ridiculously cheap $345 with free shipping. That's tempting. But then I also noticed how Rigol is fighting Chinese rip offs on ebay and elsewhere.

What do you guys think about this deal extreme thing? Or should I go with some more trusted source like www.tequipment.net ?

( PS. don't bother suggesting other scopes or the ebay tektronix scene. I'm decided on this model already, and just want to know where it's safe to buy one. )

Got mine from Tequipment, but i made sure it won't hit customs  :-X.
So far so good and the thing works like a charm....
and all those Digital one beeing light weight and smaller is a real plus....

I've been reading those deal extreme reviews. Seems legit, but it won't hurt to be suspicious. I don't think it's possible to dodge Finnish customs ordering from either of these. Or does Tequipment offer some special options related to this?

Got it delivered to family in US and they sended back to me with some other goods, it's a poker game, but it worked for me,
saved a couple of dineros on the overall package..... nothing to do with Tequipment  :-X

I've recently done a MAJOR overhaul and refit of my workshop. I added an OWON 60Mhz DSO 'scope to the list of gear we all
accumulate over time. It is one of the best buys I have made. My trusty Tektronics 2246 is still the boss, but the OWON is
the new kid on the block. The same scope is sold under different names. It has minor 'faults' like the viewing angle of the screen,
but that's about all I can think of - especially for the price.

Frank B.

I've read plenty of what Owon has to offer. I was quite interested in Owon SDS7102, but I found out that while the hardware and specs are actually very good, the firmware and operating system (and hence day to day usability) is so far behind Rigol and most high quality western types it's best to stay away. No updates to be expected either. Rigol is apparently one of the best in this respect. Usability is great, with even updates quite often.

They are saying that if Owon SDS7102 got Rigol to make them an operating system/firmware it would be one of the best 100mhz scopes out there.

There are other good chinese alternatives like Hantek (= Tekway) with big screens (like Owon SDS7102 has). But price doubles for those screens sizes. I think that dealextreme thing is pretty hard to beat now that it's starting to look legit,

Hey Kingston, did you buy the scope?
I am tempted to buy the same scope and a Fluke multimeter from dealsextreme. The Fluke´s are the ones made for the chinese market but I have read good things about them.
If you bought the scope, were there any problems with shipment or anything? Payment? Customs?

Henrik

Yes I did order it. It's still "waiting for supplier", whatever that means. I got the EMS shipping option so it should come here roughly twice as fast and very reliably compared to the free shipping option.

I saw this Finnish forum where there is a follow up thread discussing people experiences on dealextreme. The general opinion is that they are quite reliable, but that their delivery times are all over the place. They probably have many warehouses and all of them have slightly difference procedures.

It's only when you order items like too powerful lasers that are illegal in many countries that you get into trouble.

There will be standard customs procedure for items of this value. For Finland it means 23%VAT.

I'll update this thread as this progresses.

I found a swedish company selling the Rigol for the same price.
http://www.instrumentcenter.se/sv/oscilloskop/rigol-ds1052e-50mhz,-2-kanaler,-1gss,-upp-till-1-mpts-minnesdjup,-5.7-tft-faergskaerm.php
So I ended up ordering the scope and a Fluke multimeter from them. They arrived safely and are up and running in my workshop. Maybe it can be of some interest for people from the EU (at least people from Sweden).

Henrik

The scope arrived from china this morning. Actually it was in the customs already a week a go but I didn't pay until later.

Everything seems to be in order, except the user lanquage of the scope is now set to chinese and I'm having some difficulties finding the menu to turn it into english. Didn't get any manual for it either, or maybe it's on the CD that came with it.

Anyway, it took them roughly a month to get it to me but the price was right so I'm fine with it.

Latest posts

Back