Third Contact

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Hello, everyone. I just finished up a mix for an instrumental called "Third Contact", from the soon-to-be-released album of the same name.

http://soundcloud.com/darren-landrum/third-contact-rc-3

There is, sadly, no DIY anywhere on it, but it does remain an example of doing a lot with what little is on hand. The kick drum is designed with found sounds, the snare is a cheap Craigslist find that I recorded six hits off of (three hard hits, two soft flams, and one soft single hit), and sequenced manually in a "round robin" style, and the cymbals were a single ride that was given to me and a cheap crash also from Craigslist. I played each cymbal part separately after the kick and snare were sequenced. Then I ran it through a reverb set to simulate a small drum room, before compressing the whole lot together. I think the illusion is pretty convincing, overall.

Everything else is my Kawai K4r and Akai Miniak, with various effects. The organ in the middle was a Miniak patch tracked at half-speed.

And this is an instrumental, so there's no need to try listening past my pitchy vocals. :)

Even though there's no DIY gear used on it, since I've known a lot of you for many years, I thought I'd go ahead and reveal a little of what I've been up to. Thank you for listening!

Latest posts

Back