What quality cable for multistrand rhodes cable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiroy

I need to build a cable for a rhodes piano to go from the pre to the suitcase. Im still deciding on wether to go with the present 5 pin XLR or to convert it back to 4 pin DIN ,but either way I need a quality 4 strand wire with colored wires to use for this. Any suggestions?

Also was these cable sheilded? How does that work? Is it just a matter of soldiering the out side braided wire to each of the connectors ground tabs or is there more to the sheilded un sheilded deal?

> I need a quality 4 strand wire

WHY?

It is a Rhoades! Fender used the cheapest cable around, and it worked on dozens of Top-40 hits.

> Also was these cable sheilded?

IIRC, it was, but just cheap foil; and I'm sure I have rigged Rhoades with unshielded. Probably even with test-clips. As I said on another thread you started, there is an ACTIVE amplifier. The cable is far less susceptable it crap than the unsheilded pickups on the tines.

Just fix what's broke.

You don't "better" a Rhodes.... it is what it is (unless it's broke).

So I have a guy building a cable for me. What would be appropriate to tell him to use? I heard star quad canares rolls a little top end off but Mogami is a little more hi fi which may not be a good thing. What would be a good choice here?

Skiroy said:
I heard star quad canares rolls a little top end off but Mogami is a little more hi fi which may not be a good thing. What would be a good choice here?

neither, those are too good

Look I am not trying to be difficult. Just tell me what to use. If I can get an original I would but they are $70.00 when I can get one built for $20.00

And due to the mess the previous owner made trying to install an xlr the only way to cover the holes he drill out to big are to use these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230676040269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_950

Now this option will look the best for the situation I got and be the easiest and the cheapest solution. Plus even if I went with an original 4 pin Din there are many spacings on them and I dont know what connectors to get or where to find them.

I only was going with twisted pair because they have 4 conductors in them. I am not an expert on cable. I am open to suggestions here I just need a solution as far as links to resources,nt snide comments. And I am trying to keep the solution cost effective. Spending close to a $100.00 just for Nostalgias sake doesnt make sense to me when I can build and repair my rhodes for $30.00 total.

So does anyone know what cable a guy would use to build this cable? Type,Brand?Links?

well canare star quad's are just about the sturdiest cables around. Can't really go wrong there. It's totally overkill and somewhat unnecessary for something like rhodes, but hey, it will not break anymore, even if someone drives over it with a semi.

I agree with Kingston; The Canare will be easy to find, well built, and not too much more expensive considering the length you need. Didn't mean to give you a hard time, just trying to express that it won't matter: any sturdy cable (including one you find at your local surplus store) will be perfect, and I would be very surprised if anyone could tell any sonic difference between them at the lengths we are talking about.

Best,

Ben

Back