ALPS style pushbutton switch DC voltage rating, what of it?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini86

So APLS states their little push-button switches have a 30V DC rating. What happens if you put 48 to it? Is there really a chance the contacts could arc? The insulation between pins is supposed to be 500v, so there shouldn't be a concern for the plastic starting to conduct, and the current won't be over 10ma, so there won't be any heat issues. Has anybody used a mini pushbutton for phantom? Would someone like to share their findings?

I've seen MORE than a few desks/modules using the "mid sized" ALPS pushbuttons for phantom.  The specs from the ALPS website is indeed  is a bit goosey.  I see they included both voltage AND current.  Phantom power is "worst case" at 14 Ma..and that is when "pins 2 and 3" are directly shorted to "pin 1".

That is also a GOOD reason to use 1/2 Watt resistors for the phantom powering.

Best,

Bri

yeah, confusing... I then read on their website about their method for testing these things...

Applied voltage and watched for smoke, basically.

Are they just pulling these figures out of their (ahem....back pocket)? Maybe they're just understating their max voltage, so they eliminate the chance something could arc.

Latest posts

Back