9K Balancing Board - Proper Headers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I'm using these to rack up a bunch of other preamps, and I have never been able to find a header that fits properly into the holes.  What exactly were these designed for?  I'v drilled the holes larger in the past, or fudged to make it work but it's always messy and not done nicely.

Would love to know if anyone has a part number that fits properly and looks nice and clean.

Thanks!
Sig

Siegfried Meier said:
Hey guys,

I'm using these to rack up a bunch of other preamps, and I have never been able to find a header that fits properly into the holes.  What exactly were these designed for?  I'v drilled the holes larger in the past, or fudged to make it work but it's always messy and not done nicely.

Would love to know if anyone has a part number that fits properly and looks nice and clean.

Thanks!
Sig
Hi Sig,

I used Molex-Style connectors like these (2 and 3 pin versions of course!):
http://www.reichelt.de/Platinen-Steckverbinder/PSS-254-3G/index.html?;ACTION=3;LA=444;GROUP=C1B5;GROUPID=5216;ARTICLE=14462;START=0;SORT=artnr;OFFSET=16;SID=11TfPHtH8AAAIAAFsZIxsee1eadf0815ceb8aecd183fa1d3eebfd
Had to drill a little,but had to drill on the mainboards too (SSL 9K),so no biggie.After that they´ll fit well.
Sorry,just a german site but I´m sure you´ll find something like this in canada.

Best,

Udo.

Attachments

• Bal2.jpg
    Bal2.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 35
Thanks, that's what I kinda thought.

What drill bit size do you use?  And are you using it in a drill press or with a hand drill?

I recall using a hand drill before with a micro bit, and I snapped off several in the process.

Thanks!
Sig

Siegfried Meier said:
Thanks, that's what I kinda thought.

What drill bit size do you use?  And are you using it in a drill press or with a hand drill?

I recall using a hand drill before with a micro bit, and I snapped off several in the process.

Thanks!
Sig
Hi Sig,

I used 1mm drills and drill rig (hope it´s the right word for "Standbohrmaschine").Have set it to a lower speed and made some tests on a piece of perfboard before I went on.Under no circumstances try this by hand-i killed some of the bits by doing so(over 8 Euros each!!!).Also a must is that the pcbs are positioned absolutely flat while drilling (so they shouldn´t be populated-drilling afterwards is a pita).

Best,

Udo.

For a while I worked as a tech service hotline call-taker for an american RV rental company (a big one) at their headquarters, and they had a LOT of German tourists renting their RVs (KampMobiles) in America. After a couple years there, I began learnig some very limited German, mostly the technical words that the Germans wouldn't typically know...

gemini86 said:
For a while I worked as a tech service hotline call-taker for an american RV rental company (a big one) at their headquarters, and they had a LOT of German tourists renting their RVs (KampMobiles) in America. After a couple years there, I began learnig some very limited German, mostly the technical words that the Germans wouldn't typically know...

Hahaha...now that´s cool-we have our own translator here!
I did a search and my translator said it was "drill rig"-now what´s the difference (maybe a big industrial machine instead of what we all use...)?
The word "press" has a lot off different meanings here.

Herzlichen Dank,

Udo ;)

Well, the literal translation would be "Bore Machine Stand", which is known as a drill press here... (the dill presses down with mechanical assistance)

That job was several years ago, and I've only remembered a couple words. I MAY be able to get through small talk with a German, if my life depended on it. haha.

Tyco "Ampmodu" connectors fit without enlarging the holes. (The black ones in the picture.)

08-output_board.jpg

Latest posts

Back