Rode NT1a enclosure for U67 mic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baadc0de

I have a pair of these and opening them up, I see there is quite a bit of space inside. I thought since this looks to me like a U67/U87 inspired mic,  maybe I could use the enclosure and modify it to accept a 7pin XLR and install a p2p U67 circuit inside. I have some capsules, the tubes and I've been talking to ioaudio about the transformers. Seems like a nice project for next year :) Has anyone done anything like this and do you think it's viable or should I look into something else for the enclosure?

Thanks in advance,
baadc0de.

I had a similar thought a while back about putting a G7 circuit into a NT1a body, but I couldn't fit the PCBs in.  Might be a different story with a P2P build though...

I've got two of these on my list for doner bodies at some point too.

The PCB inside is thick and functions as the support rails too. I was thinking that I would use some thick G10 board to fashion the turret/p2p inside while keeping the XLR for mic-output and just drilling a hole in the body and adding another dedicated cable for PSU connections.

I was considering a C37a style circuit but am open to anything since it's fun to experiment anyway. I've got a small box of the 5840w tubes and a couple dale c37'ish capsules for this.

C37a is pretty low on parts count so I'm thinking it should fit easily.

Cheers,
jb

You're right, I didn't think about structural support yet. I might go for a turreted build too because of that and use some extra thick board material. What about changing the 3-pin XLR for a 7-pin XLR, is that a standard off the shelf part that can be easily replaced?

Also, where do you get C37a-like capsules?

baadc0de said:
You're right, I didn't think about structural support yet. I might go for a turreted build too because of that and use some extra thick board material. What about changing the 3-pin XLR for a 7-pin XLR, is that a standard off the shelf part that can be easily replaced?

Also, where do you get C37a-like capsules?

The C37 style capsules came from Dale Ulan a while ago when he did his last run (here). I think Sony still has replacement parts (ie; capsules) though you may have to dig to find a part number and the proper ordering channels.

I also believe that a 7pin XLR part will fit into the same hole where the 3pin part is normally. I'll see if I can get my calipers out and measure the RODE part.

Cheers,
jb

Thanks for the info. If you happen to have a standard 7-pin and can verify it inserts correctly we have a winner :)

regarding the headbasket.. if nothing else, I think you can get an original U87 one from neumann, though it isn't cheap at all :/

Here are some neutrik NC7MX-B and NC7FXX-B connectors I've got up against some standard 3-pin XLR's and an NT1...

Looks like the 7pins are smaller.

Anyone have a part number for 7pin XLR ends that fit into a regular 3-pin XLR hole? ie; suitable for doner mic projects?

Thx,
jb

EDIT:
Some quick META searching here reveals that the switchcraft panel mount XLR's include the part that fits:
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=477
Looking at the drawings does not however reveal that particular dimension.

Attachments

• XLRs.JPG
    XLRs.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 17
Ah yes, so the idea is to cannibalize an XLR panel mount connector and put that in. Do these have the same size/format side screw to fit with the body?

Back