now that's some smart thinking

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Normally this would be a joke of some sorts but not this time.

In walked in a 1970ish univox amp(head). Runs 4X6l6 tubes, 3X12ax7 tubes, 2X12au7 tubes and 1X6an8 tube. it's over 100W roughly, has verb and tremelo. My buddy got it for free when he purchased the matching 4 X 12 cab for 100 dollars. Anyway he asked if I could help him get it back to working order as it came in untested and missing all the tubes.

Now here is the smart thinking part.

The chassis is engraved at each tube socket. How smart is that. no need for a tube chart stuck on the side of the head, no need to ref a schematic or anything. Just engraved right by the tube. I suspect that this was done to prevent the 6an8 from going into the wrong 9 pin base. Still a great idea and better then silk screening as that can come off.

If only fender and other manufactures spent such attention to detail

> chassis is engraved at each tube socket

Hah! That's probably a made-in-New-York UniVox. Actually made by an old-old-time amplifier company who probably had punches to stamp "'57", "'80", and "2A3" on chassis.

BTW, into the 1930s, it was not that rare to find tube-numbers in the socket. There were not that many tube-types, there were more users than geeks, makers had to make it easy servicing.

After a couple years Gulf/Western shut the plant and out-sourced all production to Asia. Same shop which made "Elk" and several other brands rarely seen in America. Japanese parts. Some amusing detailing. Good work. NOT "cheap japanese junk". But a portent of what happened to electronics in America.

Latest posts

Back