What's cooking in the kitchen (recent gear builds)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hey Guys,

I know you don't see my face round these parts much these days. Truth is I have little time to dedicate to personal DIY since my biggest and most costly DIY project arrived last year, namely, Nathan, my now almost 17mnth old son.

I sold my studio gear off to my partners, business has been good so we have opened another satellite branch upcountry and they asked me to step in to build a couple new pieces which included an LA-2A, 1176 and 4 pres, 2 Neveish ones built on Joe's BA pres and a pair of API 312's, also on his BA pres. Aside from the gear I had to plan/design the studio, wiring, patchbays, and all remotely via pics and on-line chats, but it all went off without a hitch.

rooftop_rack.jpg

I came straight out of that into building 4 of Colin's EZ1073's, one for myself (I kept a PT LE rig, my U67 and now this bad boy for home recordings) and 3 for other local studios to offset my costs.

It took a lot of work to all come together, but big kudos to both Colin and Dan for working out the logistics on the rack cases, I need to buy them beers, lots of them.

EZ1073_rack.jpg

EZ1073.jpg

That's me done, though if I get a chance I'm going to wrap up my MK7 mic project before the year end and then off to London in December for hopefully a white Christmas and a pint with the old boys down at the Duke.

Cheers

Matt

hi matt,
nice builds as always.  i'm glad you still have some time for diy.  my son has just turned 18 months old so i'm in the same boat, but loving it.  you've been much busier than i on the diy front this past year and half...actually, it doesn't look like you've slowed down a bit!  :eek:  excellent work!

btw, i love those Ashton Audio labels - are they engraved aluminum plates?  how did you affix them?

best,
grant

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Grant those panels are trafolyte, engraved plastic, afixed with a thin strong double-sided adhesive tape.

Colin, loving them, they sound great. Ran some pre-recorded Ac. Guitar through the line in and cut some guide vox on an SM58 with a couple notches and boots on the EQ I got a very pleasant sound. Kudos to you for such through documentation and beautiful PCB/design.

braeden said:
Great stuff! If you don't mind me asking; where abouts did you source those knobs from for the 1073? looks great!

They are stock Sifam's, Part # S210 250 GRY with matching black caps, used them on several project, pricey but nice.

Cheers

Matt

Neveish ones built on Joe's BA pres
I'm curious what you used to do this? What transformers / DOA?
And how do they compare to the 1073 pres?

Great looking builds.

Latest posts

Back