Anybody designing a EMI Germanium Mic-Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubhumanRecords

Is there anyone designed a EMI or Ch@nd@ler Germanium mic-pre clone?
I worked with the CHdler germ and it sounds frigging awesome on bass and snare, has anyone looking to maybe try a get it going?
Thanks All...

There aren't schematics around for the Mic Pre, but you can find one of the Line Amp stages for TG series, it uses BC109 transistors though. You would need to do some things to match impedance for a mic input and find a way to adjust gain. There is also a document out there that describes in great detail how the EMI TG series consoles work, but the schematics were removed from them. I tried to design a filter using the descriptions in that document but it uses a weird design and the descriptions were very vague. It's some type of LCR filter implemented between 2 transistors using both positive and negative feedback, and use an attenuator to boost or cut the gain.

If any one finds any other EMI schematics please let me know. By the way, I plan to be molding some knobs for my TG Limiter soon, in red, if any one is interested.

But if you tried to alter the line amp it still would not be the same as Chandler version of course. There were multiple different types of gain blocks used in TG series, some very simple, some very complex. Good luck.

providedrailroad said:
There aren't schematics around for the Mic Pre, but you can find one of the Line Amp stages for TG series, it uses BC109 transistors though. You would need to do some things to match impedance for a mic input and find a way to adjust gain. There is also a document out there that describes in great detail how the EMI TG series consoles work, but the schematics were removed from them. I tried to design a filter using the descriptions in that document but it uses a weird design and the descriptions were very vague. It's some type of LCR filter implemented between 2 transistors using both positive and negative feedback, and use an attenuator to boost or cut the gain.

If any one finds any other EMI schematics please let me know. By the way, I plan to be molding some knobs for my TG Limiter soon, in red, if any one is interested.
Thanks bro for your response,i bought a chandler germanium pre at our studio,but i co-owner won't let me crack it open yet so i can take pic,so i have to wait till he goes on vacation and i will tear it apart and take alot of pics to upload.I would like some knobs for my tg limiter to,so please count me in for 10 to 20...Thanks Subhuman

SubhumanRecords said:
providedrailroad said:

Thanks bro for your response,i bought a chandler germanium pre at our studio,but i co-owner won't let me crack it open yet so i can take pic,so i have to wait till he goes on vacation and i will tear it apart and take alot of pics to upload.I would like some knobs for my tg limiter to,so please count me in for 10 to 20...Thanks Subhuman

Just be sure you aren't voiding any warranty... $$$$$

Boo Hoo! I too like this beast and have had the lid off! This is a no no - the preamp is potted in a 4 inch square block - so unless you hit lucky on a pre production, un-potted unit :(

i think u might find the pcb filled up with "potting" type shit so u cant trace out the pcb. wade has sussed all angles out. i suppose he knows about this place. i actually heard that his ge pre is actually based on the old 105x type Neve pres that used doa's but im not sure if thats true?

btw, im also interested in neve knobs. :)

mick

They are the last 2 pictures in my photobucket account:

http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/providedrailroad/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

This is not my schematic, it was found on another forum post or board. It is hard to find them though so I'll help you guys out.

By the way - about the TG knobs. I don't have much experience with molding so it is an experiment. Maybe if they turn out okay I will sell some, in small amounts. If you want Neve knobs and these turn out okay maybe I can try some in the future, but I think a lot of Neve style knobs you can find.

Back