Tenma Oscilloscopes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rigol DS1052E  is cheaper, and is ok, can't beat that if you're going into digital imho.

Dual trace, 50Mhz, (hackable to 100Mhz) and all features included in the Tenma i guess...

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=46246.0

Depends what you want to use it for. I've heard some reasonable reports on the Tenma line in general. Probably more so on Rigol. Bear in mind that the one you linked is only 8 bit Y resolution.

I bought a (cheap) DSO from another manufacturer and found the input noise to be so bad that I sent it back and bought a second hand analogue Tektronix 2445b for less than half the price including probes: >20 years old, but infinitely more usable for tube circuits due to 400V input protection & 50V/division scaling, very low noise, and sharp focus. Pretty hopeless for digital of course. Every time I turn it on though I appreciate the build quality, and can 100% trust what it's telling me, even though it hasn't been officially calibrated in years.

For a lot of audio FFT stuff you can just use your PC sound card with free software (if you dare connecting up your newly built/faulty kit to your PC). That can easily get you well over 16 bit and near 24 bit resolution if you're looking at the noise floor or harmonics and gains. Again that's not going to be any good if you need a calibration sticker, but it will allow you to properly fault find and tweak most audio circuits pretty much as far as they'll go.

Thanks guys. I will check out the Rigol unit. Basically, I need to look at ripple in power supplies, troubleshoot with it, just for audio stuff. I would need it for tube circuits because I will be working on some tube mics and preamps, etc. Thanks for the heads up on the input protection rating!

Latest posts

Back