Lomo mic pres racked

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="tubemonkey35"]Buz, where are you located in So. Cal.?[/quote]

tubemonkey, sent you a PM

Brian

thanks for all your positive response.

i didnt know lomo made pre's

If anyone has any info on the history of the non-mic Lomo stuff made, I'm very curious to know more. I know a little bit. Lomo made a few consoles in addition to mics for the film and broadcast industry. These pres were parted from one of those consoles. There is another pre out there that looks quite different from these that has two mic inputs that you can mix together. There are also EQ's in the same modular form that are floating around. These pres were designed to work with Oktava and other russian ribbon mics, Lomo never made ribbons. They have a gain of 65dB, and an input Z below 1Kohm. You can't use them stock with a high output condenser, they will clip imediately, and the input Z is a little too low. I put a 20dB pad in the rack that raises the input Z to 1.5K so U87's would be happy. Word of caution: if you have these modules and intend to use them with phantom power, you must use coupling caps at the input transformer because the the input tranny is center tap grounded. It's not like the V72 issue with degration over time, you will immediately zap the tranny if you apply 48V on it.

what do they sound like? comparable to anything?

They don't sound very comparable to anything out there that I've heard. They have a pretty radical response curve, nice big low end shelf boost eq. I was told by a Russian that this was done to make up for the lack of low end in russian ribbon mics. They are hardly hi-fi, but they sound fuckin great, particularly with ribbons.

Do you have schemos for the modules?

I don't have an official schematic, but I drew one out in scribbly heiroglyphics by tracing everything. I'll work on getting a clean drawing and posting it here.

By the way, is anyone still having trouble loading the images? Netscape users? I was using ftp instead of http. Thanks buzallen for that info.[/code]

If anyone has any info on the history of the non-mic Lomo stuff made

I have manuals somwhere for Lomo standalone boxes,EQ,limiter and complimiter with gate.As I remeber they are discreet transistor stuff.
EQ passive threeband,switchable frequencies,gainblocks for input output.
Complimiter fet based,limiter probably cutted version from complim,
they share similar gain blocks.No transformers,no balancing.
Made for film industry in seventies or mabe beginning of 80.
Used only complim.How it sounded dont remember,aside of it put in fire my mixers output section. :roll:
And they look ugly.
As mic stuff goes,never seen mentioned Lomo made modular mic system similar to 451,with replacable capsules,24 volts power,fet preamp.
I've seen 4 different capsules,
2 of them were different sounding small diafragm,one 3/4 and shotgun.
Few years ago I used first three of them.Sound was metallic as I remember.For shure cap upgrade makes good.

Hey that Lomo-logo looks familiar !

But didn't expect it to be a Russian gear brand.
I've seen it appear on Shellac-7"singles and
kept wondering what it was...
Sounds like Albini being fond of Lomo-gear.

And a really nice looking box you did !

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="Viitalahde"]Usually this kind of weird shit ends up here too if from Russia. Russians make some bad-ass analog synths![/quote]
It's a pro gear
:wink:
Have you ever tried to tune their synths for more than 5 minutes? :mad:

Latest posts

Back