Help with noob VU meter question!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backstreets

I acquired a set of old Akai (Roberts) VU meters. I've restored a Studer B67 before and racked a bunch of Neumann and Telefunken modules so I have some knowledge in fiddling around with audio electronics but never worked with VU meters before.

I'm about to build a meter bridge with them, but in no hurry with that. At the moment though I would just want to check if they really work. So how would I go about?

The first thing that concerns me is that they aren't all down at -20 now when they are disconnected, shouldn't they be that?

There's also 4 poles on the back of each, two big ones with cut red and white wires which would make me guess it's the positive/negative poles and then two smaller posts with blue colored wires. What are those?

Pic attached.

Thanks in advance for help!
/L

Attachments

• akai_vu.jpg
    akai_vu.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 46
Test them with an oscillator but I wouldn't bother as I am sure the one in the picture is kaput.  The needle is calibrated by the screw in the front of the meter for a small amount of movement but it is way out in the ocean there.

The two connections with nuts at the back are for the meter. The ones at the bottom are for the internal illumination.

Latest posts

Back