DIY AKG D12?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonepariah

I hope this is the right thread for this post. If not, just let me know and I will re post accordingly.

I understand AKG used a lot of the same parts on various mics over the years. My question is does a cheaper AKG mic exist that I could tear apart and build a DIY D12, or at least a mic with with a D12 like sound? I would buy the real thing but the cost is crazy these days.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Not really, no. The re-badged versions (Echolette and Norelco) used to be cheaper to find but these days folks are hip to those too.

All of the AKG mics with the same or similar capsules (D12, D25, D30, D36 ...) are worth at least as much as (or a lot more than) the most commonly found model, the D12E.

You can sometimes find a D12(E) in need of repair - which could be either a minor issue or a more serious one - and repair it, but you won't really be saving any money unless you can do the repair yourself - and then you have to hope that the capsule is in a salvageable condition.

Bottom line is, if you really must have one you will need to save up for it, or be extremely lucky.

Thanks for the info Dan. Wishful thinking on my part, I suppose... I guess I will have be patient (very patient) and continue looking for a reasonably priced D12.

Reasonably priced is just the beginning...all these mics are 25+ years old. Many of them have a sagging diaphragm. There's a number of testimonies of owners of several D12's who say none sounds like the others. Finding a good one is tough because owners tend to keep their good ones and sell their bad ones while the price is high.

abbey road d enfer said:
Reasonably priced is just the beginning...all these mics are 25+ years old. Many of them have a sagging diaphragm. There's a number of testimonies of owners of several D12's who say none sounds like the others. Finding a good one is tough because owners tend to keep their good ones and sell their bad ones while the price is high.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I have heard this. It's definitely not something I would buy without testing, but I imagine I won't find "the one" tomorrow.  :-\

I've read that nothing even comes close to capturing that Beatles kick sound besides the D12, D20, etc. I have tried D112 and Beta 52, but I am not a fan. Any suggestions for D12 alternatives?

lonepariah said:
I've read that nothing even comes close to capturing that Beatles kick sound besides the D12, D20, etc. I have tried D112 and Beta 52, but I am not a fan. Any suggestions for D12 alternatives?

I'm skeptical. Get your kick to sound like Ringo's did in the room and you'll get the sound with a 57, 421, RE20, etc. Not to deny that some mics can be magical, but c'mon, "nothing even comes close"?

Meathands said:
Get your kick to sound like Ringo's did in the room and you'll get the sound...
Maybe he's not getting the Ringo sound because he's playing in-time.  :eek:
Sorry, couldn't resist.  Carry on...

Ethan said:
Maybe he's not getting the Ringo sound because he's playing in-time.  :eek:
Sorry, couldn't resist.  Carry on...

Not sure which Ringo you're listening to... You don't mean Ringo Garza do you (http://zildjian.com/Artists/G/Ringo-Garza)?

I was referring to Ringo Starr.
Timing isn't exactly his forte.
(hence, if the original poster was playing in-time, THATs probably why he doesn't sound like Ringo...  there was a joke in there somewhere).
Carry on...

Meathands said:
lonepariah said:

I'm skeptical. Get your kick to sound like Ringo's did in the room and you'll get the sound with a 57, 421, RE20, etc. Not to deny that some mics can be magical, but c'mon, "nothing even comes close"?

Thanks for your input. I own a 60's ludwig kit, so the drum itself has a very Ringo sound. Unfortunately, my tracking room is not Abbey Road, though.  :'(

Of course the room, kit, player and mic placement all impact the sound, but I have never heard an RE20 on a kick that I liked the sound of. Definitely not a D12, too modern rock for me.

I have a D12E from electric lady land I'm not horribly attached to... its in "OK" shape, the frame is still intact, the capsul is still good.  Nothing a little TLC wouldnt fix.  Only thing I ever really LIKED this mic on was a 10" speaker of a bass rig I used to use about 10 years ago.  I used to use it on floor toms as well, before I got my D112s.  Every once in a blue moon it sneaks out of the mic cab and on to some unsuspecting victims recording...

385882_2659156721261_1326207212_3090213_1466234301_n.jpg

Ethan said:
(hence, if the original poster was playing in-time, THATs probably why he doesn't sound like Ringo...  there was a joke in there somewhere).
Carry on...

Hehe. I suppose both jokes (yours and mine) were lost in translation. But I do tend to like Ringo's timing, inexact as it may be.

If Recording the Beatles is correct, Ringo didn't have a D12 on his kick; for most of the Beatles' career he had a D20. The D20 had a very similar case to the D12, but a very different capsule, without the 100Hz bump that characterized the D12 (and the D112). The D20 was essentially flat in the bass, and had a couple of switchable bass rolloff curves.

I'd guess the closest modern approximation might be an RE20, though the D20 had more proximity effect than the RE20 has. But an RE20 placed on the front skin, about 4" away might do the trick. Other things to note for that Ringo kick sound: he used a front head with no vent hole, and he kept a large wool sweater instide the kick drum for damping.

Peace,
Paul

Thanks for all the great input guys.

As far as Ringo's timing goes, I tend to agree with George Martin:

"Although Ringo does not keep time with a metronome accuracy, he has unrivaled feel for a song. If his timing fluctuates, it invariably does so in the right place at the right time, keep the right atmosphere going on the track and give it a rock solid foundation.

MagnetoSound said:
Ethan said:

I honestly can't believe you actually said that ..!

Nor can  i.....
Mr Martin was wrong...... :eek:
For those in the UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017lbh4/Arena_George_Harrison_Living_in_the_Material_World_Part_1/

Latest posts

Back