Can these PSUs be put in the same chassis?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ego Tripper

Hello all,
I about to assemble some preamps based on some Spectra Sonics cards and I plan on putting the pres and power supply in separate enclosures, joined by a shielded 4-pin XLR. For power I need plus & minus 24 V as well as 48 V for phantom. I picked up a Power One HCC24-2.4-A pretty cheaply for +-24 V and I'm hoping to build Rod Elliott's phantom power supply seen here: http://sound.westhost.com/project96.htm

My question concerns a warning in the "Construction" section of Rod's project-- he says:
It is extremely important that the transformer is not used to power other supplies or equipment. The centre-tap must not be connected to anything, and needs to be insulated to prevent contact. The supply circuit uses the full 30V AC in a floating configuration, and connection to another supply or rectifier will cause a short on the winding.

I don't plan on running anything else off of this transformer, but I was planning on putting it in the same chassis as the Power One PSU and having them share a 0V supply line to the preamp enclosure. Can anyone have a look at Rod's schematic and tell me if there's a reason why this floating supply can't share it's 0V output and enclosure with another supply?

It's fine.

Rod means his transformer can't do other chores also. You won't be doing that.

Latest posts

Back