$15K for studio gear.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

A friend of mine called me today asking to help him set his new studio.
he has 15K to spend on nice converters/software/mics, mic pres and monitors.

At this price range what are your sugestions on gear?
Im about to propose for Linx converter Aurora 16..ive read really good things about them.
Gonna match them with a protool HD core card and protool hd.

For mics on my experience ...still not sure though...maybe Neumann.
Mic preamps maybe some nice diy ..
Monitors??? maybe some nice focals..

All advice would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks

Actually those 15K its just for gear.
The room and acoustics are taken care by someone else!  ;)

Keep coming your comments and sugestions..

Room Acoustics > Mics > Pre-amps > Convertors

Then who knows what kind of comps/eqs he wants. A lot can be done TB now-a-days. Maybe a couple hardware compressors to track with. Gssl and 1176 :)

Unless he is one that prefers all analog gear.  ;D

tell him to check out my Chuck's Racks thread.  That whole package was ~$5500 including shipping.  2 API pres, 2 Neve pres, 2 1176s, a GSSL clone and Jeff's VC528 fader stage.  All inside a single 11-slot 51x rack, and another 11-slot sittin' ready to go.  mind you, that was for kits only, nothing pre-assembled. 

However i built 4 x access-312 for 550$.. 2 x 1272 for 250$....
1 x 1084 EQ for only 450$..so its kinda relates to the $$ you want to pay.
nice pix on your thread though...

Thanks

3nity said:
However i built 4 x access-312 for 550$.. 2 x 1272 for 250$....
1 x 1084 EQ for only 450$..so its kinda relates to the $$ you want to pay.
nice pix on your thread though...

Thanks

yeesh, you must've had parts left over from other builds!  Yeah, i went with complete kits for everything so I wouldn't have to think.  If your friend has any build experience he might be able to save the way you did, but if not and he's willing to put in the time, then kits are the way to go.  Each channel is roughly $500 in my box when all is said and done.

Good!
So we set our eyes on the Lynx converters with a HD card to go with protools 10 HD
For monitors i have our dear friend Bluzzi (1084 guy) who recommends the Focals ...

Thats for now!

You totally sure you guys need PT HD? Its a vast investment...

Maybe PT Native or Even PT 10.LE would be a better route.
With the new macs you can record with small buffer settings these days.
Just saying as i didn't realise the tiny latencies achievable until recently.

Personally i'd rather put the money into mics & outboard.

Well you are right..
But they plan on have a bigger studio i run on PTLE and im happy but they have a bigger goal.
however im pretty happy with my 002 rack running ptle 8.

On the other hand.
I plan to build them some preamps, eqs and comps.

Microphones still not decided..AKGs or geffells.
Thnaks

It will, the difference is in the latency, HD systems are super low, and native (no PCI card) are at the will of the buffer.

look into the HD Native rig to save some money over the full bore HDX systems. The HD Native will set you back a few grand less than the HD Core/Accel card setup, but runs totally on the computers processing, which works better with the release of each new, beastly Mac Pro model.

Brolik said:
look into the HD Native rig to save some money over the full bore HDX systems. The HD Native will set you back a few grand less than the HD Core/Accel card setup, but runs totally on the computers processing, which works better with the release of each new, beastly Mac Pro model.

I can vouch for HD|Native being awesome, I actually prefer it over TDM rigs now cause of how well it handles RTAS plugins, I only run into problems when using too many instances of AutoTune (sorry) and/or virtual instruments otherwise it's fantastic.

benlindell said:
Brolik said:

I can vouch for HD|Native being awesome, I actually prefer it over TDM rigs now cause of how well it handles RTAS plugins, I only run into problems when using too many instances of AutoTune (sorry) and/or virtual instruments otherwise it's fantastic.

and rtas has been made obsolete with pro tools 10. with pro tools 11 you willl be required to have new all new digi hardwear as it will obsolete the current crop of avid/digi hardware.  there is not much that pro tools really does more of or better then other daws.  I used to be  have to stay current with latest releases of pro tools but now it's not as necessary. Your better off holding off and getting a used hd system on the cheap it may not be pro tools 10 but will still be a great system,

Back