1176 in 1u

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmanian

Has anyone here built an 1u single channel 1176? I think I can fit most things inside but I wonder if anyone here can propose a suitable 1u case and VU meter that will fit. Thanks in advance!

gemini86 said:
Rob Flinn said:
Get the same meter on ebay for 1/2 the £

Seriously doubt you can get as much quality on eBay for 10 bucks... please prove me wrong though.  I'd buy 3 or 4.

I suppose they are priced in Aussie $  but that meter doesn't look any different to this one apart from the logo, which is to me is £5 cheaper with free shipping !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VU-meter-recording-audio-level-warm-back-light-/330509042731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf3dfc42b

Rob, thanks for the link... I thought I had searched ebay high and low for something not plastic.

If you don't mind waiting for shipping, and possibly receiving something slightly less impressive than what is pictured (my experience w/ chinese ebay sellers) then it's a good deal. If you want something that's got Joe Malone backing it up, spend a bit more.

So, the meter is the only thing the seems like it would hold anyone back. It seems that sticking a smaller meter in is the answer. If you got an 11" deep chassis I bet you could fit two in there. I mean, look at the 500 series 1176 workalikes.. Those are the same components generally minus the PSU board and xfrmr. I would say it is completely doable to fit at least one. Just follow the advice given by these men. They tend to steer me strait.

you can drive a car without a speedometer too, but it makes is easier to know how fast you're going until you get to know the feel of the car...

Thanks a lot to all for the excellent info!!! Would you consider building a series 500/501 clone of the 1176 as a better option (for example Igor's much appreciated F76)? It can also be racked in an 1u with the appropriate modifications.

abechap024 said:
pucho812 said:
who needs a meter.. You can run a compressor without one

especially a 1176! Set to Smash and let 'er rip!  ;D

Hmm.. 1176 in a 1U with no meter.. make that transformerless on the input with the IC option and it sounds like you have something pretty cool for dirt cheap.

and if you wanted to skimp on output iron, you could just make it impedance balanced on the output, with just a resistor.
8)

Latest posts

Back