Does anyone recognise this microphone (STC badge)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

I wondered if anyone has seen one of these little condenser mics before? It appears to be T-powered, and has a little toroidal output transformer. It has an XLR output, held in with a circlip. Sadly the mic is not in great shape, and the capsule is damaged.

It is badged by STC, but it may have been made by another company.  I thought it may have been made for STC by Calrec / Hebden sound, but the guys there do not recognise it.

Unknown_STC1.jpg

Unknown_STC2.jpg

Unknown_STC3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Stewart

This was designed by Gayford for STC and appears in "Electroacoustics", the first accurate book I found for mike design.  Try the Unobtainium Book Co.

The cardioid capsule uses a unique "phase shifter" design out of sintered bronze which may also have been the backplate.

Coles made this for a number of years when they took over all the STC designs.  When I left Calrec, I toyed with the idea of selling a cheaper Soundfield.  (The Mk4 was my baby at Calrec)  I contacted Coles but soon realised they didn't really have any design expertise and were just following old STC process specs.

Coles may be able to tell you the STC model number.

Hi Ricardo,

Many thanks indeed for the info - I am always impressed by the breadth and depth of the knowledge here.

Cheers!

Stewart

Looking through the 67/68 hifi year book ST&C do 2 condenser mic the 4108 of which there is a picture & you mic doesn't look like it.  Yours having aall round head basket, where as the 4108 has an end grill & what looks like 2 side grills, a bit like what most peoples G7 looked like whne made out of a piece of brass tube, but like a pencil mic.

The other mic they did, which I don't have a photo of is the 4126, which me be more likely to be the one you have.
"Cardiod condenser microphone using field effect transistor head amplifier, Very high quality.  response 30-16.00 c/s  Sensitivity -84dB  Impedance 30 or 300ohms.  Complete kit comprising transit cases, mains power pack, 30ft cable & outlet plug.  price £108 6s 6d.  With battery power pack instead of mains unit £94 16s"

Neither of these condenser mics appear in the '62 or '74 editions of the hifi year book which are the next closest ones to 67/68 that I own so I guess that 67/68 was the right sort of era for tham.

Latest posts

Back