So what switch cleaner do you use?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njm

Title says it all. Which cleaners have you had the most and least success with? And which ones can be confirmed as not breaking down plastic (particularly switches with a plactic latch mechanism, like SSL routing switches and modern neves)

I've recently been recommended GB124 from chemsearch, bit of a weird one cos it doesn't evaporate, you have to blast it out with compressed air. But so far it seems pretty good

I've used the Caig Labs products for over 30 years without seeing anything come to harm, except maybe an EPROM label, or two.  For switches or pots, it pays to know if there is any grease involved in the feel and action. Also, I am careful about what comes into contact with rubber dome switches, as oils can break down rubber over time, and solvents can cause them to swell and warp.

caig deoxit red  for switches & contacts.

caig deoxit gold  for... well gold contacts & switches.

or better yet, electrolube. for anything.

i always try to clean out any excess junk after spraying/injecting.

"Kontakt 60", then cleaning up the mess with "Kontakt 600"

But the dialastat switches will break their locking pins no matter how you clean them, unless you replace the grease/vaseline that's in there

Jakob E.

i always try to clean out any excess junk after spraying/injecting

My biggest gripe with most all the spray stuff.  Even on low it's still a waste for small surface area jobs

I like denatured alcohol or methanol for plated switch contacts and edge connectors. Caig xxx for the rest.  The Gold works pretty well for lubricating overly tight tube sockets.

Back