Sending big files

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
What are you guys using for sending over 1G files to someone?
I used all kinds of stuff, but they become a PITA with time, and i don't
use it that much to pay fees, so free if possible and fast....

Thanks for the feedback

EDIT: Actually i used Dropbox the other day quickly, and didn't even notice that there is up to 2GB free.
But i'm curious anyway of what you use....

I've been using Dropbox. They offer 2Gb of free space. You can even incorporate it to your operating system if you want to, but the web interface works fine.

http://www.dropbox.com/

1. Register ( log in from top right corner )
2. Create a folder using the web interface
3. Upload your files
4. Share the folder with any email address

file_transfer.png

:)

No that was an option too, also sending a DVD to that person etc...
But France to Switzerland will take 3 weeks, go figure, i'm 1/2hour drive to Swiss.
BUT i and the person won't be able to see us for sharing with a USB key, that's why..
And it needs it quick.
Since we have bunch of services over the internet for that, i'll use it
and was curious of other services than the ones refered in your picture...

Those services seems to grow like mushrooms....

How about an IM client?  I know you can transfer files directly in most of them but not sure if there's any size limit.

Depending on the type of data you wish to use it for, it may be useful to read the terms & conditions.
for instance, since the 15th of july, Dropbox is free to use your data without your consent!  :eek:
I wouldn't recommend it to send a 'yet to be released' song, or a super secret new schemo...

Here's a list of possible alternatives:
http://alternativeto.net/software/dropbox/

Axel

Dropbox is free to use your data without your consent!

You sure about that? Maybe analyse your data.

You could always make an encrypted .dmg file before uploading it. (although i think that maybe illegal in the UK now :-X)

Personally i like Dropsend as the receiver doesn't have to sign up, but i think the file limit's 1Gb on the free version.

mrclunk said:
Dropbox is free to use your data without your consent!

You sure about that? Maybe analyse your data.

You could always make an encrypted .dmg file before uploading it. (although i think that maybe illegal in the UK now :-X)

Personally i like Dropsend as the receiver doesn't have to sign up, but i think the file limit's 1Gb on the free version.

Mea culpa!
There has been a lot of protestation in July when Dropbox published their new TOS, because of that sentence :
"By submitting your stuff to the Services, you grant us (and those we work with to provide the Services) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (such as translations or format conversions) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff"

I had read about that but looked no further since I wasn't a dropbox user.
Dropbox subsequently clarified the situation, and this famous sentence wouldn't be as scary as it seems, but of course that was harder to find...

Axel

Well tons of options, but good to have them, since most will change their rules in the future i'm sure...
I like that wetransfer, looks simple and easy.
I actually used dropsend for the files, worked, took a lot of time to upload..
Will try the others in the future and choose from there.

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks.

Latest posts

Back