Pcb Tracks-Paths What Sizes And Thicknesses ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warpie said:
The specific design is all discrete and although I can make the traces thinner I believe that (since I have the room)
wider traces = less resistance (right?). Unless, there's something obvious I'm missing...

It's a line level signal circuit so no high impedances are involved.

Less resistance, sure, but you're not doing anything with significant current in the traces so there is no worry about voltage drops across the traces or any of that.

-a

Somewhat large-ish traces and pads can be of benefit if you ever have to do re-work since they will have less of a tendency to delaminate/lift during the desoldering and resoldering process.

Bri

JohnRoberts said:
For one more irrelevant comment. I recall the owner of the compnay actively lobbying for filling all empty spaces on PCB so it would deplete the etchant slower.  :eek:

JR
It is certainly a concern in Europe, where PCB manufacturers pay a tax on rejects.

warpie said:
Hi Andy,

The specific design is all discrete and although I can make the traces thinner I believe that (since I have the room)
wider traces = less resistance (right?). Unless, there's something obvious I'm missing...

It's a line level signal circuit so no high impedances are involved.

Thanks
Miek
Larger traces mean higher capacitance; this may be a concern regarding x-talk. There is not one rule that works for all; you have to analyse the nature and topology of your circuit, and balance the result against manufacturability, mechanical reliability and serviceability.

a clever use of circuit board traces can be seen on the Langevin AM16 layout,

traces run over each other on the front and back to create 10 pf of balanced C across the I/O iron,

took me a while to figure this one out,

Attachments

• AM16board.jpg
    AM16board.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 45
CJ said:
a clever use of circuit board traces can be seen on the Langevin AM16 layout,

traces run over each other on the front and back to create 10 pf of balanced C across the I/O iron,

took me a while to figure this one out,

There are also layout tricks even used with single sided layouts with one conductor of a pair is bracketed or surrounded by the other conductor. This geometry causes a first order cancellation of magnetic fields generated by current flowing both ways in the conductors.

Capacitance is generally not something to increase, but I vaguely recall some old RA Pease articles about impact of stray PCB effects on sensitive circuitry. Trace capacitance can be a stability concern with high impedance NF networks.

JR

Back