feelings on a 441

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abechap024 said:
MicDaddy said:
anyone wanna see some 441 gutshots?
Do we!?!

I think I do. Nice thread, should use mine more often I realize. Got mine for a nice price as 'rattling' but a simple fix cured that. Let's see for how long I manage to keep that mic-holder unbroken. The transp plastic looks pretty breakable...

So, i did a recording session for a gospel video with one of these, and I really don't like how it made me sound.  very harsh and in your face.  not smooth at all.    Saxes need tubes or ribbons.  no dynamics ever.  the CV4, however...  like buttaahhhhhhhhhhhh

BTW  we have to try the OTHER side of my royer 121 next time you're here... apparently the back side is more present than the front and is supposed to be real nice on sax...

What about the brilliance switch on the 441? With it on, the 441 sounds much more similar to the sm7 I think. With the brilliance switch off my 441 often sounds muddy.

With the low cut filter fully engaged mine sounds pretty dang thin!!

Also yes without brilliance it's not as bright but not muddy at least for me.

Personally I found that with the M-S somewhere in the middle and brilliance disengaged the freq response was very close to the RE20, though each has a unique timbre.

Someday I'll get those gut shots up, I'm so buried and things have been hectic with family as of late.  I'll try to sweep one in all various positions and post....

Here's a start:

S7003800.JPG

S7003803.JPG

dmp said:
What about the brilliance switch on the 441? With it on, the 441 sounds much more similar to the sm7 I think. With the brilliance switch off my 441 often sounds muddy.

I never liked the character of the brilliance switch on my pair, I preferred flat with no hi pass.  When I wanted more sizzle an out board eq did a much better job.

So i finally found a deal on one of these and jumped on it... I guess my ez1073 build and my U87 clone will have to wait a few more months...  I had the opportunity to check one out a couple weeks ago and really dug the sound of it.  Cant wait to do a shoot out with it on some drums... I wanna ABCDE the 441, 421, 57, 7B and an Audix mic. 

i wish these things (and the 421's) had a body to match their personalities. ugly, uncooperative little buggers.  of course my 421 actually manages to hold a mount fine... but the mount's threads are stripped to almost nothing  :mad: .  the cases should have come with an extra cutout for a roll of gaff tape  ;D .
taking a shot in the dark here, but might that coil behind the main element be picking up added content for the brilliance switch and the metal tube behind it serving as a chamber for lf content?  i know the md421 uses the aft compartment for the lows.

I used my newest edition to the collection on a guitar cab the other night... wow... why didnt i get one of these like 10 years ago?!!?  And chuck.... someone didn't know how to use that mic or just had it set completely wrong for the application... this thing is like BUTTAH!!!

grantlack said:
taking a shot in the dark here, but might that coil behind the main element be picking up added content for the brilliance switch
It is a humbucking coil; it has no "active" role. It picks magnetic interference just the same as the voice-coil, but out-of-phase, which cancels the resulting hum.

mulletchuck said:
Saxes need tubes or ribbons.  no dynamics ever. 
I always do saxes with dynamics, Senn 421, Beyer M88, MTG 100. Last session I did, I put an M260 on sax, it did a strange thing like sympathetic resonance with certain notes...went back to the 421.

abbey road d enfer said:
grantlack said:
taking a shot in the dark here, but might that coil behind the main element be picking up added content for the brilliance switch
It is a humbucking coil; it has no "active" role. It picks magnetic interference just the same as the voice-coil, but out-of-phase, which cancels the resulting hum.

aha!  that makes total sense, forgot that some dynamics have those.

just scored one for dirt cheap (along with the 421 i'm tinkering with now) so i'll officially be 'part of the club' in a couple days  ;)

Latest posts

Back