Sourcing Logo/Typeface for Fairchild Faceplate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cianthreetimes

Hi there,

Looking to design a faceplate for a DIY Fairchild 670 and am having a hard time sourcing the original typeface. Does anybody know where to get a Vector image of the Fairchild logo? I've scoured this forum, and the web, and have come up empty handed.

Thanks!

because all the little kids with the pumped up kicks...wanna see a fairchild logo when their indie label sends them into the studio...

Ptownkid said:
No kidding...why do people insist on doing this? What you are building is NOT a fairchild...

You're exactly right. I never said I was going to call it or brand it a Fairchild. Just looking for the typeface to design a logo for the front panel.

No need to get pissy here...

Sorry dude, you are correct, you did not say that, my apologies. This topic is one of the ones that gets me riled up the most as I HATE when people try and make a clone look EXACTLY like a real unit and use the real logo.

Carry on.

What are you going to do with a Farchild logo vector image unless you're naming it something with those same letters?

My apologies as well for jumping to conclusions.

Do you have photoshop? You can take a google image of the logo and convert that into a vector image.

riggler said:
Live Trace in Illustrator.

I've done this a number of times, also in corel. The quality depends entirely on the source image. If you can only find shitty jpeg "thumbnail equivalents" like is common on the web, or crap mobile camera photos, then completely redoing the logo by hand is a better idea.

Another way is to download some massive free font collection on the web and just step through it by hand. You're bound to find at least one that is a perfect match or close enough for business.

Hello

Pssst! Talk to Frank NRG.

I already copied the 670 faceplate. It took me months to perfect and get right on. I basically used a real knob as a scale factor for a bunch of online photos imported them into addobe illustrator and drew over them. Then I went through a bunch of fonts looking for the right one.

Once completed in illustrator I sent it overseas to my buddy Frank and he did the import to CAD. He then double checked it with me and engraved me a panel.

Here it is:

http://www.chucksaudioelectronics.com/chucksaudioelectronics/My_Albums/Pages/The_Fairchild_670.html#grid

Maybe have him throw on your logo or name to make it more special. I kind of now wish I would have done that.

Here is Frank's web store:
http://www.frontpanels.de/

Chuck

I think the trouble only starts when people that are making pieces of gear look as authentic as possible, start trying to sell them and or cases. instead of keeping it in their house or private studio.

the line between a forgery are very thin...though its a free world and if someone wants to make a piece of gear look a certain way in their own shop, more power to them.

Still why try to copy an original logo when you can make it your own and even cooler!? (you don't have to answer that...) ;D

Latest posts

Back