Neumann W492 EQ trouble. HELP NEEDED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backstreets

One of my Neumann W492 equalizers broke down today  :(

I'm in the middle of several sessions where I use a pair for mid-side eqing and would need em up running ASAP again!

I'm comfortable using a soldering iron and changing components but troubleshooting isn't my strong skill and I do not know where to begin.

I've swapped places with another w492 module and the problems came along with it, meaning that my wiring, connector, PSU and lunchbox is working as it should.

The problem is:

I was tweaking it and all of a sudden the audio level dropped almost completely. I thought I had by mistake hit the bypass switch on the module (as it kills the audio the way I have it wired now), but nope the EQ was still on and the signal passed through it but at very very low level. It also seems that the filters work as the should and the overload light works as it should. If I feed to hot signal into it I can hear it distort and the same goes if I boost +15dB on two bands close to each other, one can hear that the boosts together causes the EQ to overload and distort.

All in all it seem to operate as it should, but the signal the EQ outputs is extremely low level.

Any clues, where to start with this?

Thanks in advance, L

i don't know the original Neumann W492 but i make the audio version.
Maybe take a look around the output stage, have you test to change the ampli op?

Back