EmRR

Re: New API 525 build thread.
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »
yep you're right, the same.  Back to my original comment; I was looking at Peter's schematic, which ain't right. 
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
Does anyone know if Ed made a run of transformers for this new version of the 525? He said he had done enough transformers for the ones that bought the v1 of the Peter board.

Where can I get trafos in the UK? I know Jeff @ classic API sells them but was trying to avoid postal charges and the likes :)

J
jrowel: "It depends on how much is wrong with the module. There is something wrong with almost all of them. "

ruairioflaherty: "Mr. EMI's children have bigger problems than some solder monkeys"

zayance

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
Does anyone know if Ed made a run of transformers for this new version of the 525? He said he had done enough transformers for the ones that bought the v1 of the Peter board.

Where can I get trafos in the UK? I know Jeff @ classic API sells them but was trying to avoid postal charges and the likes :)

J

If you check the mainboard BOM, on first page, it says you can use 2X SOWTER 9935, don't know if that will be cheaper than Jeff at the end?

T.

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2012, 05:23:23 PM »
Yeah, last case scenario I was considering that.
But when I spoke with Peter he said "use Ed's have no idea what he has"

.... You know, the ever helpful Peter :)
jrowel: "It depends on how much is wrong with the module. There is something wrong with almost all of them. "

ruairioflaherty: "Mr. EMI's children have bigger problems than some solder monkeys"

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »
Question about the input trafo. The original has no input trafo, am I correct?
For the people that did go for the input trafo, is there really a benefit? I mean the unit is coloured enough (at least the original ones) is it worth to fork out those £40 on a Lundhall?

Pardon my noobiness if the original has in fact a trafo input. (never actually opened one, but the pictures I've seen only had the o/p and sidechain trafo)

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2012, 05:05:41 PM »
The original has two transformers, but one is the output transformer and the other is used to generate the voltage that goes to the FET. No input transformer.

I built mine with the line receiver as proposed by Peter. Works fine for me.

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »
The original has two transformers, but one is the output transformer and the other is used to generate the voltage that goes to the FET. No input transformer.

I built mine with the line receiver as proposed by Peter. Works fine for me.

Thank you 901. As expected, I guess.

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 02:17:58 AM »

J

in the end, getting Ed's transformers from Jeff in the US was still cheaper for than the sowters (UK folks). ;)
Grayhill 71BDF30-02-1-AJS in stock at RS 2508966576

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
any HFE requirements? I have tons of under 400-450hFE BC184 :P
I guess I could also use the BC550. I saw on another post they should be matched, not a problem there (Q1 and Q2)

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
Just match the input pair.
http://www.lazpro.com
I reserve the right to not sell to idiots

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
are 1/8w ok for the miniature resistors? I've used ohms law for worse case scenario (+16v to ground) and it did give 0.250w
But I don't think in both cases it's "signal" to ground so that shouldn't matter.

I wanted to avoid carbon and the only ones I found were either 1/8w or carbon.

What are you guys getting?

Cheeeeeers

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
Hey guys

What exactly is CG and RG?
Since it has a weird naming convention decided to look up but couldn't find on original schemo.

Is this a remnant from the old build?

Is this optional, or necessary for either the A4 or Lundahl?

I'm going A4 so I skiped XR1 and XR2. but I'm confused with CG/RG

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
Cap ground & resistor ground. They join power and audio grounds through 10R & 10pF... Don't ask.
http://www.lazpro.com
I reserve the right to not sell to idiots

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 03:40:08 PM »
will 2k make a difference for R75 (2.2k?) having a hard time finding the right ones for the right footprint.

is it just setting impedance for the rail supply?

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
Big Pete :)

in the first page of the thread you posted a pic with PRV6 lin as i/o? was this only for the picture or>

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »
2Q

is it normal that the sidechain opamp (a3) big trannies run slightly hotter than the rest? (eg. almost too hot to the touch?)
and:

Anyone else see the meters going full on when engaging true bypass?

EDIT: did the same mistake as 901 with the sidechain trafo I'll try and fix it later but that should be the end of it.. nothing to see here move along
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:37:01 AM by jplebre »

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2013, 03:47:05 AM »
Yes, bypass lights the whole meter.

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2013, 05:10:13 AM »
in normal conditions also does it? or just because i have the trafo mounted wrong?

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:59 AM »
No, the wrong trafo connection does not affect that behaviour.

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Yes, bypass lights the whole meter.

Odd! I thought that the switch was simply a 4pdt. 2 poles for the + and - copy of the signal or the trafo out, and then the extra pole used for the bi-colour LED.

Signal should still go through the whole circuit. O/p trafo still sees the 600ohm load is still there, nothing else changes in the circuit so why does this happen?

I feel like some probing and trace cutting coming on just need to understand what else is being affected :P

(not having a go in anyway, just want to learn more :)