Pultec 500 - Analog Allstars EQP-1S5 -- VPR APPROVED -- **2nd Unit Ships FREE**

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsos

EQP-1S5  500 series Pultec EQP-1A/EQP-1A3

Faithful reproduction of the 1970's solid state Pultec EQP-1A3!

***NOW AVAILABLE***

***SECOND UNIT SHIPS FREE***

(to make up for USPS ever increasing rates)​

VPR-certified complete units handmade in the USA
or
DIY kits

Complete units are hand-built with great attention to detail, and come with our own hand-build, discrete, through-hole (no SMD) 2520 opamps.​

New revision pics below!
Some notable changes:

1. Full metal enclosure
2. Standoffs pressed into the bottom sled (no more screwing in standoffs from under the sled)
3. Inductor and transformers now have molex connectors so no need to solder wires to the board
4. Added pads for a DC-blocking capacitor in the gain stage, to allow use of high DC offset opamps like the JLM99V (untested)

All in all, these new units are even easier to assemble than before!

FULL METAL JACKET, BABY!!
EQP%201S5_front%20r.jpg

ASSEMBLED Units: Carefully HANDBUILT and TESTED come with a replica 1970's “Huntington” era 2520 discrete operational amplifier, and are VPR Approved by API for use in API lunchboxes and 10 space racks, as well as API consoles that accept 500 format modules, for example 1608).  Of course, they will also work in all compatible racks from other manufacturers.

DIY Kit contents: Comes with *almost* all parts needed including a toroidal Permalloy inductor just like the original, TWO custom-wound nickel transformers closely modeled on the HS56 (the solid state units used one on input, one on output), Grayhill switches, all Wima polypropylene caps (some of the best sounding caps in our opinion), relays, everything.

The only part not included in the DIY kits is our discrete operational amplifier.  We would love to offer this but due to build complexity we will not offer them for DIY (at least, for now). We may end up offering them for sale as built units, we'll see. 

Link to BUILD INSTRUCTIONS for new version (older version is in the help thread):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/doha0fdshwt353b/Analog%20Allstars_build_docFMJ_.pdf?dl=0

HELP THREAD Please post build questions here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48328.0

PRICING

DIY Kit: $450 USD + shipping/PP fees

VPR Approved, Handbuilt/tested units : $900 USD (-10% for forum members) +shipping/PP fees

SHIPPING  will be by USPS flat rate, from Florida, USA.

Each DIY or built unit will ship by USPS in it's own Priority Mail Small Flat Rate box (with the extra metal cover we can only fit 1 kit in a box). Shipping for one unit is $10 for US and $36 for abroad, (this covers the USPS Small Flat Rate shipping cost and shipping materials). It's still very economical within the US but has gone up considerably for international shipments, SO for orders of more than one unit we are offering a 50% shipping discount on a per order basis.

Domestic Priority Mail offers a form of tracking that uses a number generated with the shipment, International Priority Mail offers a form of tracking that uses the customs number generated with the document, this gets emailed to the receiver when the shipment is created.

To ORDER, please send an email to:
EQP1S5_preorder [at] analogallstars [dot] com  (fix address first, of course):

with:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Full name
[*]Forum Name (your alias on this forum)
[*]Order details (how many units, DIY or built/VPR approved)
[*]Shipping Address
[*]Paypal email address  (Please copy your paypal email address IN the body of the email, with NO punctuation around it, so we can copy-paste it and avoid errors in sending invoices.)
[/list]

Please include all the above info and we will send a Paypal invoice ASAP to get your order going. Paypal invoices are payable through your paypal account or by credit card (through Paypal's secure website). You do not necessarily need a Paypal account.

Thank you!

buildafriend said:
After looking at this project since this morning I am getting more ambitious about it.
Got a couple kits still with no claim on them. I say go for it!

For some reason I am not turning any results on a search for the EQP-1S5. Do you mind linking me?

The only place for info on the EQP-1S5:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=46920.0
;D

Seriously, there was never an EQP-1S5 (not that I know of anyway, but watch someone post a picture now).  There were "S" versions of the EQP-1A (like the EQP-1S3 in the link below), which may have been special order units or special batches, I don't know for sure, but they seem to not be 100% consistent in frequencies between different "S" units.  Most have more high boost frequencies and some but not all have more low frequencies as well. Not sure what that means?  In those days everything was hand built/wired so making custom units was probably not as big a deal as it is today when you have to redesign the  board and reprogram all the robots building it.  Check the GS link below for a post from Steve Jackson who I believe is remaking the old pultecs, and for a pic of a famous pair of EQP-1S3's in use (note the frequencies are different from the ones Steve Jackson posted).

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/175904-chris-lord-alges-bus-pultecs-2.html

My circuit itself is like the solid state EQP1A, but with a lot more frequencies so "S" seemed a more appropriate designation, and, of course the 5 because it's in 500 format.

ChrioN said:
I'm glad you finally pulled it off. What about front panaling? Anything included?
Thanks, it's been a lot of work (not done yet!). Front panel will be anodized and either engraved or silked. Everything is included except the discrete opamp (but will come with the 5534->DOA adapter.

mylesgm said:
I'm in so I hope you got my email...
Yes, I did, thanks Myles. Niels is doing invoicing as we speak, but he's been pulling 18 hour work days getting a big Neve into a studio since last week!

I'm probably in, depending on what my next pay check looks like. I could only assume that this circuit sounds amazing. Wima caps, pultec circuit, military grade metal resistors, 2520 gain stage.. If I think about this any more I'll end up pulling out my credit card.

Invoices have gone out over the last few days and payments started to come in (thank you very much everyone!).  For those waiting on the sidelines, we're down to the last couple in the batch, first come first served.

cheers!

Dimitri, I hope you got my email from a few weeks ago? I am in for a pair. I have not received an invoice yet. Cheers, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, I should have said "most" invoices have gone out. Basically all the ones we didn't have to recalculate.  We needed to "discount" your pair for the grayhills you sent us for the prototype, that's all.  Well, that and the fact that I'm working in the northeast of Brasil for the next few days and Niels is finishing up that Neve install and sending invoices at 2am!

Thanks again for the sending those grayhills, they really helped!

Most others should have received their invoices already, and everyone else should be getting theirs any minute!

Thanks!
dimitri

No problem. Just wanted to make sure you got it! I am ready when you guys are.

Thanks for the update.  ;)

Cheers, Jeff

Hi Mitsos,
Payment sent for 1 kit. looks great can't wait to get into this. cheers Stu
sonic1_02 [at] hotmail.com

Hi Dimitri

Invoice received, payment sent.  ;)

Did these ship yet? Just kidding.  ;D

Looking forward to your kits. I know how much work it all is.

Cheers, Jeff

jsteiger said:
Did these ship yet? Just kidding.  ;D

I wish! I too can't wait to get my hands on these!!!

Thank you and everyone else who's part of this thing, I'm very excited to see this finally materializing!

Also, EVERYONE, please check the first post, I've thrown up a list with names/invoices/paid, if there are two Y's next to your name, you're good to go. If not, then check your email/spam folder/etc for the invoice, let me know if you did not get it, and I'll figure out how to resend it.

many thanks!

Hi Dimitri,

your Invoice was buried in the spam folder. ( I have no idea why, cause paypal normally goes through)
I'll found it and now the money is send.  :D

Thanks for your work.

Wolfgang

wowi said:
Hi Dimitri,

your Invoice was buried in the spam folder. ( I have no idea why, cause paypal normally goes through)
I'll found it and now the money is send.  :D

Thanks for your work.

Wolfgang
got it, and updated you to green! 

Please everyone with open invoices, check your spam folders.

So far paypal has been fairly smooth (we had to send them a BUNCH of paperwork of course) but there's nothing like a Spam folder to sabotage everything! 

Thanks, and happy holidays to all!
-dimitri

Latest posts

Back