Demoing plug-ins/Mixing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rellister

In our small projectstudio we don´t have a budget to buy waves mercury yet... ::)
I´m a fan of "make it work with what you have".
I have some nice DIY-stuff from this wonderful forum I´ll use of course.
Anyhow, I try to minimize plug-in count when mixing.

Any suggestions for som nice plug-ins for demoing that I don´t know about?
We´re on Cubase 5/Windows 7 64bit.
I know waves are limited to 7 days functional demos, not an option.
SSL have a wonderful 30-day fully functional demo with their new Duende native-I´ll check that out.

Suggestions/opinions appreciated!

check out Massey plugins, the demo's don't run out you just can't save settings.
http://www.masseyplugins.com/

Also i just discovered this.
http://www.soundradix.com/products/auto-align
Same deal demo wise.
Very handy for fixing dodgy phase issues.

I'm going to put it out there; I don't get the Waves plugs.  They largely just don't do it for me, although the de-esser is okay.

I like the Sonnox stuff.  It's very well engineered and does what it says on the tin.  When the EQ first came out many years ago I put it up against the J-series EQ and it sounded better to me.

YMMV,

M

Rellister said:
Any suggestions for som nice plug-ins for demoing that I don´t know about?
I've downloaded a number of freeware plug-ins over time, but use just a very few of them. the ones that remain in my folder are:
Bittersweet (transient)/Blockfish (comp)/Spitfish (de-esser)
m compressor
mda DS and comp
poor plate
tc M30
Sanford delay
Classic delay and some others from Kjaerhus audio
Mr Donald Leslie
mda Leslie
Tremollama

Though I was very inclined to buy some specific plug-ins, I haven't to this day.
I demo'd Sonnox SuprEsser and waves DeBreath, didn't buy them cause I found they needed too much tweaking, could do better with normal editor.
I also demo'd some Chris Lord-Alge plug-ins, vocals and drums. I found they are well organised but don't give me more control than the built-in EQ, comp, delay and reverb in Samplitude. I don't need to pay for something I already have.
Today I could get rid of all my plug-ins except BitterSweet.

http://antress.blogspot.com/ lots of great free plug ins.

also voxengo have a lot of free stuff too.

Thanks for tips everyone.
+1 on the sonnox stuff.
Disagree a little on the waves stuff though, but in the end is a matter of personal preference I guess.

This is an aggressive band, recorded straight to DAW, what I need is to sweeten it up a bit without spending lots of $.
I´ve used the massey stuff a little before, will check that out again.

EDIT; Unfortunately massey don´t support VST.

Also have an UAD-(1) card, not fully 64-bit compliant.

Somehow another discussion, but still interesting; got an email from Bill himself (as all UAD-users i guess) saying the plugs will be fully 64-bit compliant during 2012 at no cost to users. I interpret that as they are not going to release new cards, but new software, probably running native, using the cards as copy protection somehow...dunno.

Back