Reslo ribbon mic with unusual motor ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Hi!

I came across this ribbon motor recently, inside an otherwise normal looking Reslo ribbon mic....

WeirdReslo.jpg

It looks like either a good DIY replacement, or a transplant from another model. Does anyone recognise it?

Also, someone should tell this young lady that this is not the end she wants to be singing into!

5625444181_94a4f4c366_m.jpg

I bought two of these a few years ago for £50 boxed in mint condition... Mine were identical to yours inside apart from the corrugated ribbons where snapped... That girl in your photo had probably got her hands on them! I replaced one of them myself with 2 micron aluminum leaf which I corrugated on the rim of a camera lens. It took a lot of attempts and a level of patience I didn't think I possessed. Hence the second Reslo has never been touched.
Does yours work, and if so how does it sound?
Jay

Just looked at your site- think I'll be getting in touch after Xmas to get the other one working- cant face that job again!!!
Jay

zebra50 said:
Also, someone should tell this young lady that this is not the end she wants to be singing into!

Oh, don't worry, that's Samantha. She mods all my Reslos with these superior motors. She's just testing the off-axis rejection in that photo.

Sorry mate, we've got a solid schedule of "bench exercises" coming up, plus I need to check to see if her bottom-end is still ok.

It's cool though, her Mum will have you round for your tea while we're round at mine though.

very-fat-woman-eating.jpg

As long as she saves us some of the cake send her mum round here. I miss my engineer that always used to break studio chairs and she'd fill in nicely...

Jay

Good to see you here Roddy - we'd missed your insight  :p

Jay - Actually I haven't got that mic up and running yet - I thought it might have been a mutant mic hack job. If you have some the same then maybe they were a later model Reslo, using more modern magnets. Feel free to send yours along after Christmas and we'll get it up and running again - drop me a PM or email and we can discuss details.

Cheers!

Stewart

And she's at it again....

5626027524_c53cce29c6.jpg

She must like it like that!

5632610623_5ecae0d0e5.jpg

With added wet....

5632624785_c78538f007.jpg

She's called Gabriella Cilmi, apparently.

I'm an arse.....the frames holding the ribbon is different from yours! There's a spare one shown in the photo and it's the same as the ones in the mics...
a0694eea.jpg

rodabod said:
zebra50 said:

Oh, don't worry, that's Samantha. She mods all my Reslos with these superior motors. She's just testing the off-axis rejection in that photo.

Do you sell these modded versions?
;D

zebra50 said:

Yeap. Dummies never change. In late 70's I used to play in clubs in Istanbul. One night we had a singer and when the keyboard launched into a solo she held the mic to the keyboard. With the solo you could also hear from the pa, click-clik-clikclikclikclik-clik-clikclik.

JayDubrek said:
.the frames holding the ribbon is different from yours!

Yup, those are the standard ones - I can certainly help with those ones!
So I'm back to my DIY chop-shop swap theory (no matter what Samantha says).

Back