Re: GSSL HELP THREAD!!!
« Reply #8140 on: October 08, 2019, 02:55:12 AM »
Damn, dét er en svær fejl at finde - forfalskede komponenter ligger simpelthen uden for hvad man forventer..

Godt arbejde!

Jakob E.

Det er bestemt ikke hvad man forventer Jacob og de er jo gode til at efterligne, det er heldigvis ikke noget jeg har oplevet mere end nogle få gange, som regel er de okay, selv om de er fra Kina. Men tak for hjælpen, det var kun fordi du også pegede på - regulatoren at det gik op for mig at det måtte være den.

andow

« Reply #8141 on: October 17, 2019, 08:55:23 AM »
Really happy GSSL user here!  8)

Just something that kind of bothers me: my meter seems to be bouncing back and forth when deflecting. I'm using this one here:
https://www.don-audio.com/VU-Meter-S-500

The original meter on the SSL seems much more stable and smooth.

Any idea how to make this meter behave more like the original?

weiss

« Reply #8142 on: October 17, 2019, 12:51:53 PM »
Really happy GSSL user here!  8)

Just something that kind of bothers me: my meter seems to be bouncing back and forth when deflecting. I'm using this one here:
https://www.don-audio.com/VU-Meter-S-500

The original meter on the SSL seems much more stable and smooth.

Any idea how to make this meter behave more like the original?

Yeah i have the same here. But all my builds got that behaviour so far. I think it's just the ballistics of the meter, not sure if you are able to "improve" that ?!

gyraf

« Reply #8143 on: October 18, 2019, 09:05:41 AM »
Yeah, it's meter ballistics - if you get an expensive Sifam like the original, it'll behave like that.

But for all real purposes, I don't consider the meter readout to be critical..

Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

« Reply #8144 on: November 02, 2019, 06:40:39 AM »
So, i want to make my GSSL voltage switchable between regions (US & EU).
Is that even possible?

I'm thinking it could be done with just a simple "voltage selector" switch.
Or is it more complex than that? Change of toroidal etc??

I know nothing about electronic, but im great at soldering and following instructions for the kits.

« Reply #8145 on: November 03, 2019, 03:41:38 AM »
So, i want to make my GSSL voltage switchable between regions (US & EU).
Is that even possible?

I'm thinking it could be done with just a simple "voltage selector" switch.
Or is it more complex than that? Change of toroidal etc??

I know nothing about electronic, but im great at soldering and following instructions for the kits.

If you use a dual 110V primaries, transformer, you can wire it up on a switch to  select parallel  or series connection, which is basically the same as selecting 110 or 220V operation.

Gustav

« Reply #8146 on: November 03, 2019, 04:20:59 AM »
Thx gustav

Will this transformer work:
Primary: 2 x 115
Secondary: 2 x 15v
USA  110V Parallel Usage
White & Purple together to Mains IEC 1, Orange & Yellow together to Mains IEC 2
Europa 230V Series Usage
Orange & White together, Yellow to IEC 1 (L), Purple to IEC 2 (N or reverse)

Together with a voltage-selector slide-switch (DPDT) 10A 125V

Or is your solution something completely different?
Better / easier setup ?

« Reply #8147 on: November 04, 2019, 03:22:52 AM »
Thx gustav

Will this transformer work:
Primary: 2 x 115
Secondary: 2 x 15v
USA  110V Parallel Usage
White & Purple together to Mains IEC 1, Orange & Yellow together to Mains IEC 2
Europa 230V Series Usage
Orange & White together, Yellow to IEC 1 (L), Purple to IEC 2 (N or reverse)

Together with a voltage-selector slide-switch (DPDT) 10A 125V

Or is your solution something completely different?
Better / easier setup ?

That is how you do it..

Gustav

« Reply #8148 on: November 04, 2019, 05:49:07 AM »
That's awesome.

I just remembered that, a lot of professional appliances, have a 120V-240V 50/60hz transformer.
So no need for a switch, as it does this automatically?
That would be even better for my Gyraf SSL, so i don't need to worry about switching back and forth when traveling.

Is that a possibility?
If yes, is it all about getting the right toroidal transformer and nothing but a different wiring?
Or can almost any power transformer do this?

gyraf

« Reply #8149 on: November 05, 2019, 02:36:36 AM »
No. That form of auto setting is only possible for switched-mode supplies.

Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

« Reply #8150 on: November 05, 2019, 02:44:07 AM »
Got it, tak Jakob.

So would it be dumb to put in a smps instead of a linear, according to your design?

Potato Cakes

« Reply #8151 on: November 05, 2019, 03:19:19 AM »
I don't think that is what he is saying. You mentioned appliances automatically switching voltages and then asked if you could just wire a toroidal transformer (linear PSU) and not worry about it. SMPS automatically switches voltages, linear requires a physical switch or a rewiring of the transformer to switch input voltages.

There is no reason I can think of that you couldn't use any modern SMPS in conjunction with good filtering with this circuit. As long as it can handle the power requirements of the GSSL (which isn't too much) then you should be good. Otherwise you will need to install a voltage switch for a toroidal transformer for the different voltages.

Thanks!

Paul

« Reply #8152 on: November 05, 2019, 03:52:56 AM »
I don't think that is what he is saying. You mentioned appliances automatically switching voltages and then asked if you could just wire a toroidal transformer (linear PSU) and not worry about it. SMPS automatically switches voltages, linear requires a physical switch or a rewiring of the transformer to switch input voltages.

There is no reason I can think of that you couldn't use any modern SMPS in conjunction with good filtering with this circuit. As long as it can handle the power requirements of the GSSL (which isn't too much) then you should be good. Otherwise you will need to install a voltage switch for a toroidal transformer for the different voltages.

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks Paul.

What i meant to say was, since he built the design, there must have been a very good reason for him to use a linear instead of a smps :)
I have since read a lot about the differences and concluded that a linear is best for pro audio, especially DIY's if you wanna keep it simple & cost efficient.

So, I've decided to go with a toroidal and a DPDT volt-selector switch.
Can someone please confirm that this transformer will work with the switch im buying, for the GSSL?
https://www.don-audio.com/Audio-Toroidal-Transformer-Prim-2-x-115-Sec-2-x-15v-Center-tap
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k/V80212SS05Q/CKC3002-ND/181459

Potato Cakes

« Reply #8153 on: November 05, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
Thanks Paul.

What i meant to say was, since he built the design, there must have been a very good reason for him to use a linear instead of a smps :)
I have since read a lot about the differences and concluded that a linear is best for pro audio, especially DIY's if you wanna keep it simple & cost efficient.

So, I've decided to go with a toroidal and a DPDT volt-selector switch.
Can someone please confirm that this transformer will work with the switch im buying, for the GSSL?
https://www.don-audio.com/Audio-Toroidal-Transformer-Prim-2-x-115-Sec-2-x-15v-Center-tap
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k/V80212SS05Q/CKC3002-ND/181459

This design has been around for a very long time, and when this circuit was first hatched up until recently I would agree that a linear power supply would be best for pro audio circuits. However, because of much better designs and implementation of DC filtering, SMPS are being used quite a bit in fantastic audio designs (CAPI, Rupert Neve Designs, Sound Skulptor, Heritage Audio, JLM Audio, etc.) Not trying to convince you one way or another, but just to let you know that current SMPS options with DC filtering would work well with the GSSL.

Thanks!

Paul

« Reply #8154 on: November 05, 2019, 01:32:13 PM »
Well, i've read that noise, RF &  electromagnetic interference in SMPS are significant, and therefor EMI-filter are necessary.
That and reliability + slower transient response made me choose linear instead.

But then again, you've might be right about nowadays SMPS transformers are better/good enough :)