GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just cleaned the pcb for the 10th times and now it seems to work. i'll upload a picture when it isnt working again. man this build is a ride.  I thought it might had something to do with the little jumper mentioned on page 240 but this wasnt the case.
Thanks for the immediate response though, appreciate it

Clexxx said:
just cleaned the pcb for the 10th times and now it seems to work. i'll upload a picture when it isnt working again. man this build is a ride.  I thought it might had something to do with the little jumper mentioned on page 240 but this wasnt the case.

I would suspect that its not be the cleaning, but the mechanical manipulation (i.e., nudging things around while cleaning) that just made the difference.

Maybe a cold solder somewhere, maybe on the bypass switch, maybe somewhere else.

Pictures to evaluate the soldering on the switches/pots and PCB would help immensely.

Gustav

Thanks Gustav. I provided the picutures here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dmqmcpa1roq46n8/AAAO2yNETyUGs9W7xr_6U3A9a?dl=0

Clexxx said:
Thanks Gustav. I provided the picutures here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dmqmcpa1roq46n8/AAAO2yNETyUGs9W7xr_6U3A9a?dl=0

Nothing jumps out on those.

Bypass switch?

Top of board as well.

Did you measure voltages on dropout?

Gustav

Hi Guys!

Yet another beginner not getting his standard GSSL to work.. hope you can shine some light.

When I turn on the compressor, it passes sound both in bypass and non-bypass mode. On the non-bypass mode the make-up gain works properly on both sides, but on both sides there is no compression. When I switch the sc-switch the meter jumps real short.

I've been looking at all the other people who had the same problem, but couldn't find a proper answer for my situation.

So I started measuring, where the trafo is connected to the PCB I measure 15.9V and 16V. The diode bridge outputs 22V. The 7812 measures 21.5V on the left, 0V in the middle and 12V on the right. The 7815 does the same, but with 15V on the right obvisously. The 7915 however has 0V on the left, -21.5V in the center and -15V on the right. Sounds a bit weird to me, but according to the drawing it appears to be ok. Afther this I'm a bit clueless. Anybody any suggestions what I could do to further troubleshoot this?

Kind regards,

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Have you tried looking over the previous pages?

There's a handful of classic misses that can cause this - the most common ones are missing install of the jumper at the sidechain-insert-point (at TL074) - or wrong wireing of bypass switch..

Jakob E.

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for you reply! I've centainly looked at the other pages, been scrolling through them for the pas few days. I have seen the sidechain issue and bypass switch wiring, and have already checked those twice. I've also checked for bad solder joints, and also make the extra bridge that was not on the pcb.

Kind regards,

Ralph

Ralph Verdult said:
Anybody any suggestions what I could do to further troubleshoot this?
Confirm, the remaining unchecked two voltage rails (+12VDC from the 78L12 and -12VDC from the 79L12, each in respect to 0V) for the sidechain supply are working correctly... (and the pinout of the pos. and neg. voltage regulators will be different again, so maybe have a look at the parts datasheet for confirmation. )
There are 5 different voltage rails for supply operating in total (+15VDC, -15VDC, +12VDC, -12VDC and aux.supply +12VDC).

Thanks harpo! Got it fixed, after measuring I noticed I replaced the sc-VCA the wrong way around. It was busted ofcourse, but after replacing it it worked aboslutely fine.

Now on to the SSC and Turbo!

hello i just build a gssl and i have a little problem one side of the inputs  its louder i dont know wich one its the worong one but i have to turn the input signal louder in one side to balance the signal. 

ne5534 L output voltage 2.1v
ne5534 R output voltage 0.8v

fingercarlos said:
hello i just build a gssl and i have a little problem one side of the inputs  its louder i dont know wich one its the worong one but i have to turn the input signal louder in one side to balance the signal. 

ne5534 L output voltage 2.1v
ne5534 R output voltage 0.8v

Hi Carlos.

Could you specify which opamp you are measuring output voltage from, and what you are feeding it?

Gustav

Gustav said:
Hi Carlos.

Could you specify which opamp you are measuring output voltage from, and what you are feeding it?

Gustav

the first 5534s just at the input section,  im feeding them with 1khz sine wave from my computer interface.  I measured the 5534's inputs and both are the same.    the problem comes at the output

I swapped 5534s to see if the problem was the ic itself and the problems continue, i changed both balance caps for new ones and the problems still there,

which component can change the 5534 gain?  a faulty 22uf cap can change the gain of the 5534?  or something like that?   

fingercarlos said:
the first 5534s just at the input section,  im feeding them with 1khz sine wave from my computer interface.  I measured the 5534's inputs and both are the same.    the problem comes at the output

I swapped 5534s to see if the problem was the ic itself and the problems continue, i changed both balance caps for new ones and the problems still there,

which component can change the 5534 gain?  a faulty 22uf cap can change the gain of the 5534?  or something like that? 

You did not answer which voltage you are feeding it. That would make it easy to determine which side is "off".

Could be an incorrect resistor stuffed, or it could be something else.

Gustav

Gustav said:
You did not answer which voltage you are feeding it. That would make it easy to determine which side is "off".

Could be an incorrect resistor stuffed, or it could be something else.

Gustav
ne5534 L 
pin 2  -8.6mV
pin 3  -10 mV
pin 6    2.1 mV

ne5534 R
pin 2  -8.7 mV
pin 3  -8.3mV
pin 6    .6 mV

fingercarlos said:
ne5534 L 
pin 2  -8.6mV
pin 3  -10 mV
pin 6    2.1 mV

ne5534 R
pin 2  -8.7 mV
pin 3  -8.3mV
pin 6    .6 mV
You still did not answer which voltage you are feeding it.
AC voltage measured between input-XLR pins 2/3. The NE5534 exclusively operates the differential between these two pins. Gnd or 0V is not involved in this measurement.
(You simply might have connected an unbalanced output of your interface to XLR pins 1/2 (shield/hot) and missed to jump pins 1/3 (shield/cold) inside your XLR plug.)

Harpo said:
AC voltage measured between input-XLR pins 2/3. The NE5534 exclusively operates the differential between these two pins. Gnd or 0V is not involved in this measurement.
(You simply might have connected an unbalanced output of your interface to XLR pins 1/2 (shield/hot) and missed to jump pins 1/3 (shield/cold) inside your XLR plug.)

ohhh ok ok i get it, i measured between pin 2 and 3 from the xlr inputs and both sides are around the same 3.2,  also I double checked all my wiring and everything is good there

edit:

I traced all the signal and it seems to be the output section,  because I bypassed the vca in/outs with a wire.  and then I cross the wire between VCA L in  and  VCA R out and VCA L out,    and no matter what signal its feeding the 5532  one its louder. 

heres the video of the differences
https://www.dropbox.com/s/brp0hajffqfsfrh/2017-08-25%2013.40.19.mp4?dl=0

Hi Guys!

I have one final issue that I don't completely understand..

I've got the Turbo board and two SSC board mounted and connected, all fine so far. Untill now I had a 2x6 Lorlin for compression and make-up gain bypass, connecting the 5 lines coming from the front control board, just like in the standard GSSL manual. Do I have to replace this with connections to the IN SW on one of the SSC's? Or is it only coming from a SSC PCB if you want to use an EAO switch, and do you leave them connected to the front control PCB if you want to continue using a lorin? I want to keep using the lorlin for switching the compressor in and out.

Been going through the whole GSSL SuperSC Board thread, and even though explained in detail there couldn't really find an answer. Sorry if I've just been misunderstanding the answers.

Really appreciate the help guys, and Harpo, you've been a live-saver on all these threads!

Kind regards,
Ralph

Harpo said:

thanks harpo I just found the problem :p one of the 10K resistors between pin 1 and pin 2 of the 5532 was broken or something but now the unit are working  nice  thanks a lot for the help. 

Guys I need your help, im having a issue.

So when I turn on my unit everything turns on fine, meter warms up, and even audio passes through it BUT the unit will not compress the audio signal or affect it in any way.

Not sure what the issue could be as I have checked everything over.
Any help would be great thanks!

Back