GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assembled gssl first time today but no sound. why? I checked some points and realized that -15vdc is not supply for ICs of  input and output and Left VCA section. There is no -15v route for their ICs on PCB. What should I do?

hikowinter said:
I assembled gssl first time today but no sound. why? I checked some points and realized that -15vdc is not supply for ICs of  input and output and Left VCA section. There is no -15v route for their ICs on PCB. What should I do?

Hi.

I am not sure if you are the person who mailed me on this.

Some boards have gone out with a missing trace, but the last month and half, I have attached a sticker to the remaining boards from that batch with an indication of the pads to bridge, and a note to bridge them.

If this sticker was not on your board, you can see where to add a jumper in this post.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47.msg841673#msg841673

I hope that helps, and I am really sorry about the inconvenience this error has caused.

Gustav

Gustav said:
Hi.

I am not sure if you are the person who mailed me on this.

Some boards have gone out with a missing trace, but the last month and half, I have attached a sticker to the remaining boards from that batch with an indication of the pads to bridge, and a note to bridge them.

If this sticker was not on your board, you can see where to add a jumper in this post.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47.msg841673#msg841673

I hope that helps, and I am really sorry about the inconvenience this error has caused.

Gustav

Hi
I found where I should jumpered and -15v is fine now.

Gustav said:
Nothing jumps out on those.

Bypass switch?

Top of board as well.

Did you measure voltages on dropout?

Gustav

hi gustav. sorry was very busy last month. sadly the problem, where it won't compress is now permanently. the make up gain is the only thing that works, while the bypass is off (the needle responds to the audio correctly though)

I provided the picture of the top and the bypassswitch here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s4vk9l5fueirsx2/AADFvDaD4eP8VO-DQHgkr8PZa?dl=0

hope this helps.
best regards, clemens

KaxMlein said:
Guys I need your help, im having a issue.

So when I turn on my unit everything turns on fine, meter warms up, and even audio passes through it BUT the unit will not compress the audio signal or affect it in any way.

Not sure what the issue could be as I have checked everything over.
Any help would be great thanks!

A shot in the dark for a solution.

I have had a few troubleshooting sessions by mail recently, where I found people were trying to make their unit look like an SSL comp, and just left out the fixed highpass (covered in the assembly guide).

If you leave that switch out, you have to jump the connection on the main board, or your side chain will not receive any signal.

Gustav

Clexxx said:
hi gustav. sorry was very busy last month. sadly the problem, where it won't compress is now permanently. the make up gain is the only thing that works, while the bypass is off (the needle responds to the audio correctly though)

I provided the picture of the top and the bypassswitch here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s4vk9l5fueirsx2/AADFvDaD4eP8VO-DQHgkr8PZa?dl=0

hope this helps.
best regards, clemens

It works, it doesnt work, it works, it doesnt work.

When its an issue of that sort, I always suspect its something mechanical/cold solder joints messing with you.

I will also mention this (again) - check voltages when the unit works/doesnt work to see if theres a difference.

Since it has worked in moments, we will assume the wiring is correct, but check continuity on the bypass switch (both positions), and see if they are making contact. Switch can be compromised, if the pins are overheated.

Check the TL074 as well.

Gustav

Gustav said:
It works, it doesnt work, it works, it doesnt work.

When its an issue of that sort, I always suspect its something mechanical/cold solder joints messing with you.

I will also mention this (again) - check voltages when the unit works/doesnt work to see if theres a difference.

Since it has worked in moments, we will assume the wiring is correct, but check continuity on the bypass switch (both positions), and see if they are making contact. Switch can be compromised, if the pins are overheated.

Check the TL074 as well.

Gustav

checked all values when it didnt work. they are all in the green zone.
i pulled out the big connector to the front pcb and plugged it back in. works now.

checked values again and they are the same.
mechanical problem indeed, i guess, or any other ideas?

Clexxx said:
i pulled out the big connector to the front pcb and plugged it back in. works now.
mechanical problem indeed, i guess, or any other ideas?

Not really, could be a bad solderpoint or similar on the connector, but could also be somewhere unexpected that was influenced when pulling the connector.

Since your audio path never goes out, but you only have problems with getting the side chain "in", the connector is a good bet.

Gustav

problem always occurs when the compressor it cut off from power for a while (overnight). occured again :/

checked the connector. all okay. so i guess it's something influenced from pulling the connector. frustrating, but I thanks for the help. appreciate it a ton!

Clexxx said:
problem always occurs when the compressor it cut off from power for a while (overnight). occured again :/

checked the connector. all okay. so i guess it's something influenced from pulling the connector. frustrating, but I thanks for the help. appreciate it a ton!

IF there was a power on/off element, your readings would be different on the supply voltages when you have the problem - things to check could be for the latching regulator problem, for example.

...but you reported the readings are identical.

Gustav

I was curious if anyone might could help me. I've done some searches on this thread via smart search but nothing to really precisely cover my issue.

I bought one of these and the gentleman included a pair of quad VCA's, but, it was originally built with the emulation circuit. I went ahead and took out the emulation circuit's and replaced them with the quad VCA's. The issue I'm having is I noticed that my center was not as well defined and also it seems as though the ratio isn't functioning properly now either, it seems to compress even more on 2:1 rather than 10:1. I looked at my output and the left side is a little hotter than the right. I switched to monitor just the sides and I could hear the vocal and kick lightly. I'm thinking that because of the balance being off is because I can hear the center panned tracks in M/S side mode.

I read a lot about folks using gold cans and I'd assumed I could just drop them in after removing the emulation components. Also as a note, the distortion trimmers are not installed on this board either.

If there is anyone that has ran into this and came up with a solution, if you could point me in the right direction or maybe let me know exactly what you had to do I would so greatly appreciate it. I loved the sound of the quad VCA's and I want to make them work. I have an EP that I desperately need to get started on tomorrow and this is the only buss compressor I have so I really need some help asap here. I really would appreciate it if someone could. Karma is both beautiful and ugly! I promise taking the time to shoot me a note on what I can do to take care of this will be a good deed and the DIY God's will fruitfully bless you! :)

- Jerome Mason

Hi!

just finished the GSSL and it is working! But, when programming the release Lorlin to 5 steps, it had 7 steps and when set to 7, it had in fact 5... and it is distorting on the autorelease. I reassembled the pots like in one similar case by member Beau, quote:  "unscrewing the thing again and resetting the stop fixed the problem", but it is still distorting.

I am not an expert, so,... please help.

Thanx

Alesh

Fixed by "the man":

If you have 7 steps on 5, you have the switch mechanism running on the wrong side of the switch.
Unscrew, remove pin, turn the switch to the left, set to 5.
Gustav

Thanx!

Hey guys,

I'm new in the diy area and also in this forum.
Short to me: My name is Sebastian, I'm from the north of Germany and I'm 26 years old.
Now to my problem: Yesterday I completed my first DIY project, the GSSL Compressor. I connected to power and wanted to check if the 15V arrive at the end of the transformer. When I connected it, the transformer started to smoke, not a good sign.

I checked the connections and measured the transformer. Individually, all windings can be measured. However, if I want to measure the primary windings throughout, I will not get a pass.

I am faced with a riddle. A new transformer has already been ordered.

Do you have an idea?

Sebastian

Chader said:
Hey guys,

I'm new in the diy area and also in this forum.
Short to me: My name is Sebastian, I'm from the north of Germany and I'm 26 years old.
Now to my problem: Yesterday I completed my first DIY project, the GSSL Compressor. I connected to power and wanted to check if the 15V arrive at the end of the transformer. When I connected it, the transformer started to smoke, not a good sign.

I checked the connections and measured the transformer. Individually, all windings can be measured. However, if I want to measure the primary windings throughout, I will not get a pass.

I am faced with a riddle. A new transformer has already been ordered.

Do you have an idea?

Sebastian

From my reply to your mail.

I cannot comment on colors and details about transformer set-up. Too much that can go wrong to do so in mail, but.

Firstly, you have made an obvious mistake on the secondaries. You need 2x15 with a center tap (G or 0), so obviously something wrong.  (You have no center tap marked on your drawing, and seem to expect a  15 potential beetween the secondaries. 

Second, you will be better off checking the transformer first, without hooking it up to the circuit, to see if you are getting the right voltages.

Gustav

Hey Gustav,

thanks for your reply. I ordered a new Transformer and will check the configuration again. Than I connect them alone.
I hope that works.

Thanks Sebastian

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to wire up my GSSL/Turbo/2 Super Sidechain project. I bit off a bit much I suppose :eek:
I've read (most of) the posts here and saw Harpo's drawings, etc... My question (while a novice question) is whether or not I need to connect both Super Sidechain boards "Com/On/Off/Pot A/PotB" connections to the back of the control board or if I can just connect the left SSC board connections and leave the right SSC ("Com/On/Off/Pot A/PotB") disconnected?

Also wondering if I use the "In SW "to" and Ret" and LED connections on just the left side SSC board to connect to my "Compression" on/off front panel illuminated switch or do I take it from the control panel and leave these disconnected?

I know a lot of this has been covered but I haven't found any definitive way of wiring these connections and I'm a bit confused (clearly:)...

My front panel has 2 illuminated switches. TURBO and COMPRESSOR. Each has a DPDT switch and LED "+ and -". I'm trying to wrap my head around wiring them up with all the boards. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

mmattanthony said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to wire up my GSSL/Turbo/2 Super Sidechain project. I bit off a bit much I suppose :eek:
I've read (most of) the posts here and saw Harpo's drawings, etc... My question (while a novice question) is whether or not I need to connect both Super Sidechain boards "Com/On/Off/Pot A/PotB" connections to the back of the control board or if I can just connect the left SSC board connections and leave the right SSC ("Com/On/Off/Pot A/PotB") disconnected?

Also wondering if I use the "In SW "to" and Ret" and LED connections on just the left side SSC board to connect to my "Compression" on/off front panel illuminated switch or do I take it from the control panel and leave these disconnected?

I know a lot of this has been covered but I haven't found any definitive way of wiring these connections and I'm a bit confused (clearly:)...

My front panel has 2 illuminated switches. TURBO and COMPRESSOR. Each has a DPDT switch and LED "+ and -". I'm trying to wrap my head around wiring them up with all the boards. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

I believe all the GSSL mods are to be posted on the GSSL add-on thread as this one gets saturated with trying questions regarding mods and not actually building a GSSL. Before you proceed over there to ask questions, please make sure your GSSL is built and working as per Gustav's instructions.

Thanks!

Paul

Latest posts

Back