GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aah, makes sense. In that case, you should simply look in the assembly manual - I know that Gustav puts a lot of effort into making the documentation as proof as at all possible

Your wiring looks alright - but better if you compare to the manual also

/Jakob E.

Beeswax said:
Seeking feedback on my power wiring for 110V.  Is this looking correct?

You should never rely on a picture for verification - colours change in some production runs, and noone can ever know if you did something outlandish not showing in the picture.

In case you missed the blog section on my site, you should check that out (The guides are pictures-only, because the load on my mailbox was so heavy from non-english speakers when they contained explanations - and often in foreign languages  :-X )

How to wire a transformer

https://www.pcbgrinder.com/post/how-to-wire-the-power-trafo

How to do your power up (this is a work in progress, will do the pictures when I have some time).

https://www.pcbgrinder.com/post/power-up

The power-up will tell you how to measure, rather than ask for visual checks, to verify your transformer set-up.

Hope that helps! (and expect pictures to be sprinkled across that second post in a week or two).

Gustav

Beeswax said:
Is 18V too far off the 15V it's intended to be?
AC mains voltage isn't a constant and might vary by +/-10%, depending on location or time of day.
15VAC is the secondary voltage at rated load, that will be higher by maybe 15% unloaded (look up the datasheet of your transformer for the voltage regulation % number of your mains transformer).
For a high mains and transformer unloaded scenario, this 15VAC might give 15VAC * 1,1 for 10% high mains * maybe 1,15 for no-load = 18.975VAC.
Your 18VAC unloaded transformer readout (between center tap and an outer secondary end = 36VAC between both secondary outer ends) is within specs.

Where in the build does in indicate which of the 5 holes these secondaries attach?

Attachments

• 20201125_120726.jpg
    20201125_120726.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Beeswax said:
Where in the build does in indicate which of the 5 holes these secondaries attach?
Traceside of pcb will tell you, there are only 3 different connections. If you would use screw- or crimp connectors, these 3 needed connections (2 outer ends and the center tap connection of the transformers secondary windings) come with a 0.1" or 0.2" pin spacing, so the 5 drill holes assure, both type of different pin spacing connectors will fit. The transformers center tap connection always connects to the middle of the 5 holes.

Harpo, it appears with center tap in the middle position, the two holes on the right share a trace while the one on the left is traced to the hole closer to center.  (see pic) 

Attachments

• 20201125_133016.jpg
    20201125_133016.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 33
Beeswax said:
Harpo, it appears with center tap in the middle position, the two holes on the right share a trace while the one on the left is traced to the hole closer to center.  (see pic)
That was one reason, multimeters have been invented. Just ohm it out for confirmation ...

Harpo - I thank you for your replies.  Would you mind articulating "ohm it out?"  With my meter set to ohms, do I power on the unit and place negative on chassis ground and positive to each of the contacts?  Am I seeking a particular value to indicate which of the 4 (minus the center) the other two secondaries connect to?  I'm building for 110V.

Beeswax said:
...With my meter set to ohms,
correct
do I power on the unit
no, and from your pic the transformer isn't connected to pcb, so this wouldn't make much sense anyway
and place negative on chassis ground and positive to each of the contacts?
no. You want to measure resistance (your kind of measurement might measure the rare event of a blown mains transformer shorting to chassis/safety ground) in between -in this case- two spots on pcb.
Am I seeking a particular value to indicate which of the 4 (minus the center) the other two secondaries connect to?
Lets call these 5 spots on pcb 1,2,3,4,5, the center for the transformers center tap connection being 3.
From your "while the one on the left is traced to the hole closer to center.  (see pic)" you measure resistance between spot 1 and 2 on pcb. From my previous post these are the same node where one of the transformer secondary outer winding ends connect, so the resistance between 1 and 2 would measure zero ohms. Your assumption says, these spots 1 and 2 are separated, so the measured resistance would be a lot higher than zero ohms (with -from your pic- parts already soldered to pcb, there are other connections already in parallel to these spots, so an infinite resistance of a clean unfitted pcb most likely will not show up). Your assumption further says, spots 2 and 3 are connected, so measure between 2 and 3. Resistance in between would measure zero ohms if your assumption would be correct or a lot higher than zero ohms from my wording.
I'm building for 110V.
so primary windings of your mains transformer would be hooked up in parallel and there will be mains fuse and maybe a mains switch in between your wall outlet and the gssl.
This has nothing to do with transformers secondary connection to pcb.

It works!  Straight to the top of the rack.  Thank you, Harpo.

Attachments

• 20201126_141903.jpg
    20201126_141903.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 40
Ricardus said:
So it's hard to tell from Gustav's photo in the build PDF, but is the red LED just going on top of the meter?

Its red? I thought I packed white in there now, but must have forgotten to change it many moons ago.

you can position it on top and use a hot glue gun to glue it in there, you can drill a hole in the meter to position it, or whatever you like.

Gustav

Latest posts

Back