What is the best type of wire to use in a high vibration application?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mbira said:
Any thoughts from anyone if I should just get a crimp tool and crimp without soldering or solder as well?  I've always soldered, but not sure if this application is different...
Crimping gets you better resistance to vibration.  Solder will wick up whatever wire you use.  But don't leave out the silicone sealant.

You could use the same stuff used for lavelier microphones - Mogami makes some different varieties, as well as "tape head" cables which are very thin for working with moving magnetic heads.  Stranded, kind of limp rubber insulation, mostly shielded pairs though.  I use a couple different varieties a lot in microphone building - 2490 and 2697 can both be bought from Markertek by the foot.

Just wanted to give an update:  I've been using the servo wire with silicon as Ricardo suggested.  I think I've had about 10 shows since the changes and so far the wires are holding up well-much better than any of the previous attempts.  I'm using these latching molex connectors, and I am making several extras so when they do break in live use, they will be relatively easy to replace right then.

Latest posts

Back