Dual sided mic capsule (which side is the front?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Jinn

OK, this may seem silly. I picked up some K47 and C12 clones to try out.  AFAIK they are from the same source as the other recent capsule thread.

Got a few single sided and some dual sided. The front and back on the single sided is fairly obvious. On the C12 clones, there is a single negative lead, which is slightly off center line on both the single and dual sided, so I'm assuming the same orientation to "front" and "back" on the dual sided. The K47 clones don't have any obvious difference, except perhaps the hole pattern, but it isn't obvious. So, does the orientation front to back matter? I don't see why it would matter on a dual sided capsule, but if so, how do I tell which is which?????

correct me if I'm wrong, but
Hopefully they are the same and it depends on how you hook it up to the electronics
so all your mics have a positive phase [ polarity ]  no ?
and the electronics will determine how the pattern sounds

in theory both sides should sound indentical or as close to each other as possible.

On a side note,  I recently had a co-worker insist to me that a cascade ribbon mic he picked up which was a figure 8 pattern and a passive ribbon, sounded better on one side and that the mic had a front and a back? hmmmm.

Danaudio said:
Did you buy the capsules fro microphone-parts.com? The ones I got from them (RK47) have a very small "A" and "B" incised on each rim.

I didn't but upon closer inspection they do have the "A" and "B...." However one of the single sided is marked "A" and another is marked "B" on the front interestingly enough. I'm curious to A/B the dual and single in a single sided configuration.

Another question, anyone tell me how do you mount the C-12's? There is another thread here with a photo link from Peluso, but the link is dead. These didn't come with mounts BTW.

Blue Jinn said:
Another question, anyone tell me how do you mount the C-12's? There is another thread here with a photo link from Peluso, but the link is dead. These didn't come with mounts BTW.

I would like to know the same info, particularly the thread size and length of the machine screws to be used for these capsules. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks. I will try to make my own mounts, but need the info about the screws.

Kindest regards,

zephyrmic

I used a china-k67 mount that my donor mic had. I had to file the holes a little to match the holes on the c12 type. used the same screws that came with the original capsule mount. works fine.

I can check the screws I used, but it'll take a while before I get to the workshop.

Thanks for that. I am patient, so I will look forward to what you find out about the screws. Once again, thanks.

Kindest regards,

zephyrmic

Back