[BUILD] TB550A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked in a studio in the 70s that had two API 3216 consoles (purchased new). 550As everywhere. Always liked this EQ. I've studied the circuit, and studied it, with an eye towards a DIY project, but the switches were always the stumbling block.  I'm glad you figured it out. Of course I wish I had bought 550As back when they were new, I seem to recall that they were $350/per then, but at that time in my life, $350 was more than my rent... <sigh> btw, those consoles were 2 for 98k.

I know how expensive grayhill switches are, so the price, while not made-in-china cheap, is reasonable.  Seeing the kit will answer the rest of my questions.

--rick

I think good so far!

I just had to wait on some OTs from Jeff. Got them last week but just got swamped at work!  :(

Hopefully this weekend...

But it really is a smooth build, Brian!  ;)

Ha!  So I've been preaching care and patience in building this kit and I turn out to be the impatient one :)  Carry on.

Pieter, good news!  Crazy it took so long.

horvitz said:
Well, gents?  Very very quiet out there.  I take that as good.  How those builds coming along?

Just starting on the filter boards............So far, very smooth build. Excellent guide!

Hi,

One OT installed, one to go:

550af.jpg

Absolutely no problems! Smooth like buttah. :D Just racked it up, not sure how it compares to a real API 550a but to these ears it sounds great!!

Thanks Brian! ;D

Now, to track down some issues on my MixBuzz 500...  :eek:

TA DA!!!!!!
photo-2-1.jpg

This pair just made sweet love to a kick and snare.  :)

One problem:
One of them doesn't light up RED when in bypass. It still bypasses, and the GREEN works when it's in, just no RED.
I pulled it out and had a quick look, they both look the same. I'm not sure what the problem could be unless it's a bad LED.

Otherwise...............
BAD ASS M@%$#^F#$%#^

Thanks so much for this Brian, such an awesome project. This was the most complicated project I've ever put together, but ironically one of the most easy as well, due to the guide and kit itself.
VERY NICELY DONE!!!

cheers
Eric

I just love seeing these done :)  Awesome!  Glad it went together well.

Regarding your LED, you're probably right.  Given the bypass working it could only really be a bad solder joint or a busted LED.  Would you like me to send you another?  Or if you're going to be ordering anything from Mouser anytime soon, I could provide the part number.  Totally up to you.

Brian

Just finished this one up. Build went smooth, had a solder bridge on one of the followers. Fixed that and
she fired right up.

Just used it on a lead vox to replace a waves 550a plugin, shall we say there's no comparison. Mojo for days.

Here she is sharing good company.

http://sharktankpro.com/GDIY/550A/TB550A-Done.jpg

Thanks for a great project Brian!

Regards,
Mark

Very nice!! Glad you like it. 

Looks like your LED is backwards.  Although, now that I see it next to the other gear in your rack I kind of like it that way.  It matches the 560s.

I'm with you Brian.

I actually had initially stuffed the LED upside down, when I turned it around so it would fit into the front panel, it was reversed. I like to call these events 'happy accidents'.

Regards,
Mark

It seems I'm short two 0.01uF WIMA caps.
I could substitute c208 & c211 (good location) with 0.01uF 100v Polyester Films I have laying around...? Would that cause any negative consequence?

rhythminmind said:
It seems I'm short two 0.01uF WIMA caps.
I could substitute c208 & c211 (good location) with 0.01uF 100v Polyester Films I have laying around...? Would that cause any negative consequence?

Got your email regarding this.  Responding there.

Latest posts

Back