newbie builds ioaudio MK47 microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunger

After some serious thought, and reading through some of the threads about this project, I've taken the dive.  I know that max has another batch of these MK47 (U47 clone) microphone kits pending, so I thought it would be a good time to start my build.  A REALLY nice microphone is something that has eluded me in the studio for quite some time due to cost.  I use a few Audio Technica condensors (4047, 4050, 4033) which are solid and consistent, but not what I'd consider inspiring.  They tend to do everything OK, but nothing spectacular.  Other low-end offerings have been sort of one trick ponies.  My hope is to end up with a pair or really special mics that have broad application and start the signal chain properly.  The U47 seemed like a staple sound worth investing in.

This first post I hope to note general resources and parts ordered.

If I were to give myself an honest self-evaluation, I would conclude that I am probably in over my head again on this project as the various global components (mic electronics, body, capsule, power supply, cable) are coming from different sources, and it seems many seasoned DIY people have run into significant hurdles on this project.

That being said, I'm sure I will have great fun and learn some new things.  I plan to build a stereo pair.  One PSU will be point to point (turret board which I have never done) and one will be build on a PCB.  There seem to be a lot of very good options for a premium capsule some of the popular ones being Thiersch, Dale M7, and Beezneez. . . I ended up going with the Equinox Systems Q47-D capsule for no apparent good reason except for a little internet research and gut feeling.. . . EDIT: planning to utilize Beesneez K7 capsule even with the hefty cost after further research and based on recommendations in thread.

Official MK47 build thread w/ great photos:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=41379.0

Official ioaudio white market thread:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35667.0

Point to Point PSU build wiring diagram:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5bvhqkG9T7fVlhTeV9Id1lUY0k

Purchased components:

2x ioaudio MK47 kits $659.26

Horvitz from the forums here was kind enough to donate a PSU PCB for me. $0.00
0dbfs from the forums here donated a handful of 6028 tubes he purchased in bulk on Ebay $0.00

2x Equinox Systems Q47-D capsule system (matched pair) $424.00
2x Equinox Systems EQU47 microphone body $598
+ $23.00 shipping
-$50.00 (via discount code for purchase over $1000)
Equinox total: $995.00

Equinox order lost in mail. . . no longer using or recommending there products due to poor customer service and extremely unfavorable sales policies. Buyer beware and read all fine print carefully before shopping with Equinox.  They do not see it as their responsibility to ensure the customer actually gets product in hand and only guarantee the product to the point where it exits their facility.  This falls well short of my normal experience in the DIY community where companies/vendors feel some obligation to not only deliver goods (sometimes at personal loss), but also work to make sure the customer is also happy with the product.

UPDATE:  Eric Kiner from Equinox Systems  issued a refund of the net loss amount from my equinox purchase (~$480) about a year after the purchase date.  The official sales policy statement has been modified and the webstore now provides an option to purchase full insurance on orders, but the policy still places the burden and liability on the customer in the event of lost shipments.  Tangible efforts are being made on Eric's part to better support customers and his refund is appreciated, but my experience with Skylar and techix (members of Equinox Systems responsible for the exceedingly poor handling of my purchase) remains one of the worst online purchasing experiences I have had. 

I will be directly importing unmarked Alctron GT-2B microphones for use in this project.  The mk47 internal components were designed around this body, so it should fit like a glove for this project.  I will have to order in quantity, so please ping me if you need one chunger at gmail.com  or visit my white market thread for more information about the various unmarked donor microphones I am importing for DIY use.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50015.0

Point to Point PSU BOM:

----------------------------
From Mouser

Enclosure: Hammond 1453B          546-1453B
Power Toroid: Triad VPT-230-110  553-VPT230-110
Choke:  Triad C-3X                        553-C-3X

Pattern Select Switch:
C&K A114-05-R-N-Z-Q                  611-A11405

IEC:  Shurter 6200.2100              693-6200.2100
Fuse: Shurter FST 5x 400ma        693-0034.3113

test switch (better mounting one is probably available):
C&K SPDT toggle                          611-7101SD9V3QE

4x Fairchild 1N4007                      512-1N4007
5x Nichicon 47uF 450V                  647-TVX2W470MDD
2x Vishay 1K 10W chassis mount res.              71-RH0101K000FE02
1x Vishay 680R 10W chassis mount res.            71-RH10-680
1x Vishay 330R 10W chassis mount res.            71-RH010330R0FE02

Note: replace 680R 10W resistor with 1K 10W resistor for the Triad 230V toroid.  If using 200V toroid, build per schematic.

1x Xicon 100K 1W res.                  294-100K-RC
1x 5mm LED    (already have in inventory)
1x 5mm LED housing                    604-RTF5010
1x CTS 500R pot 5W                    774-026TB32R501B1A1

Note: replace 500R 5W pot with 1K 5W pot if building with this 230V toroid.  IF using 200V toroid, use 500R per schematic.

1x 2.3K 5W res.  (could not get 2.3K so will use 1K and 1.3K in series)
1x Xicon 1K 5W wirewound res.    280-CR5-1.0K-RC
1x Xicon 1.3K 5W                        280-CR5-1.3K-RC

2x Xicon 12K 1W res.                    294-12K-RC
1x 14K 1W res.  (could not get 14K, so will use 12k and 2K in series)
1x Xicon 2K 1W res.                      294-2K-RC
--------------------------------

From http://www.tubedepot.com/boards.html

9x (inches) G10 Board BP-125BOARD
50x (27 required) Turret Lugs BP-Turret 
1x Press Fit Turret kit (includes turret setting tool, drill bit, and soft mat)
From Redco.com

1x Neutrik D-series 7 pin female panel jack NC7FD-L-1-B
1x Neutrik D-series 3 pin male panel jack    NC3MD-LX-B
From Amazon.com

Hole punch tool (not required. . . drill bit included in tube-depot kit)

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Power-Punch-Sheet-Metal/dp/B0002T87CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342053264&sr=8-1&keywords=neiko+hole+punch

All the best with the build mate! You're build journeys are always inspirational especially to newbies like me...

Can you post some audio samples when you finally finish your build : )

Good luck man!

I am just curious for my own knowledge; if you could spare me the time of sourcing and pricing all of the parts, how much does this look like it is going to cost you? I plan to make one in the future. I saw telefunken's reissue is about 8.5k

Sorry.  . . trying to get through round 2 of holiday madness w/ the extended family and wrap up a few projects that were put in front of this in the queue like the Classic Audio Products of Illinois' new VP26 rev. B build.

With the configuration I'm thinking, it's looking right around $1000-$1200 each.  This project will be up on the bench soon.

I'm about to start my build but I have a feeling this thread may save me hours of troubleshooting. C'mon Chunger!!!! Big fan of all your build photos. 

I'd still be really interested to see how you get on too - it's been years since I did electronics at school but I'm about to pull the trigger on building one of these myself!

what is your problem guys? i also liked the detailed photos of chunger but
i doubt he can do a better job than ioaudio himself in the build thread
and to assembly the equinox body and capsule you just need to watch the videos on their blog.

if the psu is a problem order yourself a pcb from zayance and use all the information provided in the regarding threads....

Darnit. . . I thought I had ordered my mic body parts, but failed to do so.  I waited to inquire about the mic cable connector which was not in stock at the time I had everything in the cart. . . and then, I simply forgot to place the order after the folks at Equinox informed me they do not plan on stocking the part.

It appears the appearance of the new production batch of MK47 internals has driven sales of the Equinox bodies and they are out of stock.  I will have to wait for the next production batch before I can complete this project, and history has shown these may take a while.

I can, however get started on the power supplies in the meantime, and those parts were ordered from Mouser and have been sitting in a box while I try to sort through my backlog of projects.

Sorry for the delays and happy building for those who have mic bodies!

There's is a lot of good pictures of how to build the MK47. But I miss a thread or puctures of the PSU, I will soon be ordering my PSU stuff from Mouser and Tube-Town, and think it would be nice to see how others do. If you continue with the PSU I think a lot of people (as myself) could be inspired and take their knowledge to the next step.

John

^ for myself would appreciate watching the PSU being built.  I have a few tube mics with OEM supplies that I'd like to build my own maybe even at no improvement.  Plenty for me to be learned observing from standing on the sidelines.

If this is relating to the PSU, I'm interested in your thoughts, chunger, on an adequate cable from PSU--->mic (the 7pin variety)?  There are posts around the net claiming some have certain capacitive or other deficiencies or other issues, and I'm wondering if this in theory translates to what can actually be heard or perceived?

ok. . . big problems. . .

in doing my taxes, I discovered that I DID place an order for 2 mic capsules (matched pair) and 2 microphone bodies from Equinox Systems Dec. 28, 2011 but never got the package.  I'll have to follow up and see what happened, but this is bad.

I hope it shows up

I am following you chunger
I am newbish to this sort of project and to the forum
just ordered 2 of the kits... now deciding on capsules
Hopefully Skylar has more of the encosures made  but if not I'll look at other options

what a nightmare.  2x capsules and 2x bodies lost in the mail for me.  Insurance claim is in process. . . not that I can get bodies anymore.  We'll see.  this project may be delayed quite a while for me.

My lost package containing my mic bodies and matched pair capsules really has me bummed out on this project.  I'm waiting for my insurance claim to go through with USPS.  Must say, most other instances where this has happened, the parts supplier has opted to send replacements and push the insurance claim through on their end.  Oh well.  There are no more mic bodies.  I guess Beezneez has a body I can try for the project, but I have to wait for money to appear from the postal service before I can resume this project.

Sorry all.  I was very excited about building these but the universe is conspiring against me and I've spent a lot of money on vapor.

I too was looking at the bees neez bodies. The 51mm body seems ideal. Have you tried to find out if the pcb's would fit? I'm emailing them now to see what the mounting hole widths are.. Anyway sorry to hear about that. I'd be furious.. But if all goes well I but those bees neez bodies are probably a bit more solid. They look tough at least

Latest posts

Back