newbie builds ioaudio MK47 microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can get pcb's from zayance here; green with pattern switch on board, black for pattern on mike, he has bom also and you can order case from collective cases or other suppliers

kcatthedog said:
you can get pcb's from zayance here; green with pattern switch on board, black for pattern on mike, he has bom also and you can order case from collective cases or other suppliers

I think he just sold out, unfortunately...  :(.
Anyway, if Chunger will sell a  complete kit from his store, I'll gladly wait for it.

Inglev said:
This kit is gonna be great!

Having just ordered Max' MK-U47 kit, will different psu versions (MK47 and MK-U47) be available? Im guessing the difference is very minor (not needing a pattern switch with the MK-U47), but as a newbie, I feel safer being guided all the way  :) (like the C12 build!).

Thanks

-Inglev

You should be able to use the mk47 PSU interchangeably with MK-U47.  The relay-based pattern switching is simply not used.

If Zayance is out of stock, I have 2 revisions of prototype PCB's both of which fit well in the collectivecases.com PSU enclosure and work without issue in terms of core microphone functionality.  We are just messing with "extras" particularly the internal voltmeter.

chunger said:
Inglev said:
This kit is gonna be great!

Having just ordered Max' MK-U47 kit, will different psu versions (MK47 and MK-U47) be available? Im guessing the difference is very minor (not needing a pattern switch with the MK-U47), but as a newbie, I feel safer being guided all the way  :) (like the C12 build!).

Thanks

-Inglev

You should be able to use the mk47 PSU interchangeably with MK-U47.  The relay-based pattern switching is simply not used.

If Zayance is out of stock, I have 2 revisions of prototype PCB's both of which fit well in the collectivecases.com PSU enclosure and work without issue in terms of core microphone functionality.  We are just messing with "extras" particularly the internal voltmeter.

If you don't need your prototype PCB's, I'll consider it as an alternate option. But as stated above I'll much prefer a complete kit :). Just feels safer that way.
But if the finished kit is a long way off in the future (is it?), I'll definitely be looking for other options.

-Inglev

Getting ready for a serious mic test session in studio. . . on the mk47 front, I am curious to gather data on a few items:

- Thiersch Blue Line
- Eric Heiserman HK47
- Beesneez M7

I was hoping to put all of the builds into the 1st gen Alctron GT-2B bodies as pictured in this thread, but the Theirsch mount that I got will not fit in that body.  I was hoping the saddle would be a separate piece from the rubber base section allowing met to mount it on the stock Chinese rubber base.  This is not the case.  The saddle and rubber base are fused and glued together.  I have had a few samples of Alctron's mk47 body lying around for a long time, and decided to use it for the Thiersch mic.

p646983353-5.jpg

p814114061-5.jpg

the mk47 PCB fits in the 3 rail "mk47" microphone easier than I anticipated with just a pair of off-the-shelf 90 degree brackets.

chunger said:
Getting ready for a serious mic test session in studio. . . on the mk47 front, I am curious to gather data on a few items:

- Thiersch Blue Line
- Eric Heiserman HK47
- Beesneez M7

I was hoping to put all of the builds into the 1st gen Alctron GT-2B bodies as pictured in this thread, but the Theirsch mount that I got will not fit in that body.  I was hoping the saddle would be a separate piece from the rubber base section allowing met to mount it on the stock Chinese rubber base.  This is not the case.  The saddle and rubber base are fused and glued together. I have had a few samples of Alctron's mk47 body lying around for a long time, and decided to use it for the Thiersch mic.

the mk47 PCB fits in the 3 rail "mk47" microphone easier than I anticipated with just a pair of off-the-shelf 90 degree brackets.

Chung, are you saying that 2 of the three capsules (HK47 & M7) will be implemented in GT-2B body/headbasket setups while the Theirsch will be implemented as pictured?... if so, would it be possible to temporarily rig the GT-2B bodies with Alctron MK47 headbaskets if just for this comparison?...otherwise it would seem that the difference in headbasket construction would skew the results...just clarifying...

...I am most interested in hearing Eric's HK47 in comparison with the Theirsch Blueline (as I am sure Eric is)...

I've got a red in one of my mk-u47s and must say it's a grossly under-rated capsule.  The Blue gets so much love people discount the Red but it's an amazing capsule in its own right.

I think Chunger knows better than to skew a comparison by mixing headbaskets/tubes/circuits, etc.  I'm sure all three caps will be tested in the MK47 body.  (which looks beautiful BTW)

Category 5 said:
I think Chunger knows better than to skew a comparison by mixing headbaskets/tubes/circuits, etc.  I'm sure all three caps will be tested in the MK47 body.  (which looks beautiful BTW)

...understood bro, but the wording in his post suggests otherwise...just making sure...
;)

Category 5 said:
I've got a red in one of my mk-u47s and must say it's a grossly under-rated capsule.  The Blue gets so much love people discount the Red but it's an amazing capsule in its own right.
Very well put.
I have the red in my builds and must say I'm very happy with them.

Best,

Udo.

Testing will in fact be on 2x GT-2B bodies and 1x "mk47" body.

Original scope was to test all on GT-2B bodies, but the Thiersch mount threw a monkey wrench in that plan.  I have had all mics operating in production at the studio in the interim to make sure everything is stabilized (PSU voltages, tubes, polarity, etc.).  I know what it's like to play "pit crew" in a recording session and attempt to retrofit and solder stuff mid-session, and many times, that can introduce it's own set of problems which would detract from the main concern which is consistent performance.  Particularly when working with a singer with limited number of takes in the sweet spot before a voice tires or changes and a lot of configurations I wish to compare.

If I had additional mk47 bodies on hand, I would have transferred the other microphones, but I only have the one remaining right now that I kept for reference.  I do have a batch of stripped bodies ordered, but that will likely be another month before they are complete. . . then ocean freight. 

That being said, the 47-type capsule results are only a part of the overall tests that I want to conduct (C12, U87, U67, mk47).  I was not expecting the Blue Line to arrive in time for testing, so it is a bonus, but important enough to throw a mic together for. .  . and logistically convenient because I currently have a number of prototype PSU's available.

The Eric Heiserman equipped mk47 microphone will fair quite well in it's current configuration as far as overall performance is concerned.

Another factor that is in play is we have a few critical projects tracking right now in studio, and I did not want to diminish the mic options available.

I have a strong suspicion based on initial use that one capsule will be "weeded out" and if the situation warrants, I may very well conduct another tighter test with even more controlled conditions later (all capsules on the same mic and power supply).  Right now, I need a broad strokes test though to get some data that will inform how I kit things moving forward.

Chung,

just a quick note of appreciation for going the extra step and for sharing the information.  We all rely on the quality of your's and matador's work  but I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates you sharing your other tests ect , as we all learn from them; thx !

chunger said:
... but the Theirsch mount that I got will not fit in that body.  I was hoping the saddle would be a separate piece from the rubber base section allowing met to mount it on the stock Chinese rubber base.  This is not the case.  The saddle and rubber base are fused and glued together.

The buffer is screwed in by a 4mm M3 threaded stud, and then glued to the yoke. With a heat gun you can soften it just enough to break off the rubber/sorbothane, and gain access to the screw-head of the M3 stud inside the rubber mould. Comes out from the yoke very easily if you heat and scrape out the glue from the top of the hole as well.

A replacement 18 x ø10mm buffer is about €3,00 each, so nothing to worry about if you want to revert it back later. Thiersch can probably sort you out with an extra one as well.

Example pic attached.

Attachments

• Rubber buffer.jpg
    Rubber buffer.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 10
chunger said:
I have a strong suspicion based on initial use that one capsule will be "weeded out"...

I'm guessing the Beesneez M7 (which I have) or Eric Heiserman HK47? Seems there's lots of love for the Blue Line so maybe it's time for me to change my capsule for a truer U47 sonic clone? But I'll wait for the test results just to be sure!  ;)

Looks like you're using Western Electric 408a tubes. Will you be trying different brands?

Hello,

there are some choices for different capsule mounts on the Thiersch site,just go to the third point "Holder STS7"
,third picture:

http://www.thiersch-mic.de/en/estm_produkte.html

I remember I used mine in a SCT-700 as donor body with the smallest type ("STS7-c"),fitted well.
There's also the choice of using an STW7.1 capsule instead of STW7 which has some additional threaded holes in case one wants it:

http://www.thiersch-mic.de/en/estm_produkte_stw7_1.html

Just tap on the mechanical drawing.

Best,

Udo.

chunger said:

Hi chunger,

What's the update with the tweaks to the new PSU/PCB? Any headway?

Thanks,
Chris

Great! are there too many basic components changed? Or could one just have the same basic components (replacing the transformer) plus a small rectifier/regulator board to power the leds and maybe a meter?
I am building one and I am sourcing parts. Sticking to your photo tutorials, as always.

barbaroja said:
Great! are there too many basic components changed? Or could one just have the same basic components (replacing the transformer) plus a small rectifier/regulator board to power the leds and maybe a meter?
I am building one and I am sourcing parts. Sticking to your photo tutorials, as always.

Separated the meter supply out to one of the 2 available 6V taps on the Antek transformer and Matador made a small regulated section for it.  Otherwise, the build should track closely with the 200V build.

Latest posts

Back