sontec M250EP eq for more than just mastering?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phelar

can i use th 2ch sontec M250EP eq for more than just mastering? or is it its only purpose? my intention is to use it for recording togheter with my 2ch gyraf g9 and a fet comp. dont want no 500 series.

I wouldn't even class the standard sontec M250EP as a mastering EQ.

I used to match the left and right sides using tones, but it is just a pain in the arse. Unless you go to the extend of replacing the pots for accurately matched stepped switches I would say it makes a much better tracking and mixing EQ than a Mastering EQ.

There was talk that Igor will make a mastering stepped version from what I recall. Maybe give Igor a bell to confirm what he has coming up?

phelar said:
can i use th 2ch sontec M250EP eq for more than just mastering? or is it its only purpose? my intention is to use it for recording togheter with my 2ch gyraf g9 and a fet comp. dont want no 500 series.

Short answer

It's an eq. Eq whatever you want with it when ever you want. If it sounds good to you then adjust it for maximum rock and roll and move along :)

Sammas said:

I used to match the left and right sides using tones, but it is just a pain in the arse. Unless you go to the extend of replacing the pots for accurately matched stepped switches I would say it makes a much better tracking and mixing EQ than a Mastering EQ.

m/s is the key....

SKJGProject said:
Sammas said:

m/s is the key....

If the aim is accurate and matchable EQing of audio signals, M/S is NOT the key. It may avoid the problem of Left/Right EQ discrepancies, but it has its own bunch of discrepancies according to the very mathematics it is based on. For example, it is impossible to adjust the Mid or Side signal without it effecting the audio in the opposing channel...

Latest posts

Back