DIY Room Treatment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mullet I was looking at the pic of your room & noticed you have your speakers mounted so that the tweeters are on the sides where the speakers are next to each other rather than on the outside so the stereo image is wider.  I'm just wondering if there was a reason for why you have yours mounted in this way ?

does anyone know where I can get short vertical mic stands?  just a threaded mic stand (no extending) about 6-12" tall for attaching to a stereo mic swivel mount like this: 

4dKBCLBGNsUimk0yIqZcmA-Llfp2iKWtzDhNJeYhwBCi6DD8tmD2FDh9AxeMrjq5PzqLFmvFfoxAZkSh4CLZoWwPmVtogDM7iq82V5C1T1wZDOSqc11r10VDqTgVnWnEQ_WBkIg-l5RgLOMJUEtE8DC9VQkJ7H7sNvxe1uw7k2k

ideally it would similar to the 7" male-female rod for the On Stage Stand's Posi-Lok mic boom system.  Sr1200 gave me a great idea to take one of the bass traps he gave me, saw it in half, and stick each half on one of those little pegs attached to that mic mount, all on a mic stand..  instant Reflexion Filter Pro on the cheap!!  and a whole lot lighter, too.

Sorry for the off topic but I lost the tape-op (issue 83) where there was a nice article about DIY diffussers. Unfortunately I can't find it online. Is anyone kind enough to scan it and post it? (I know I'm asking too much!  ;D )

Do you notice a difference with them up?

I hang towels from pictues sometimes in my project studio.

I treated my own mix room last year, I used RW45 for everything. It sounds fantastic. got my RT60 down to less than 0.5 sec.
I used the John Sayers forum for support along the way, the guys there are great, much like this forum just for DIY treatment rather than DIY gear.

+1 on the johnlsayer forum. It's an invaluable source for anyone DIYing there own studios and reminds me a lot of this place....good people and inspiring work.
Jay

i must say that recording sax in here is muuuuuuuuch nicer.  before treatment, the CV4 was kinda not my favorite mic, because it picked up all the extra noise in the room.  but now that my room is quiet, it's go time!!!

word of warning, if you are going to get busy with the RW45, make sure you get protective goggles and dsposable suits with a hud (they sell them in most DIY places)
I spent 2 weeks up to my neck in RW45 and didnt get even the slightest itch wearing all that.
A mate of mine did his studio around the same time and just went in with a T-Shirt, he was itching for 2 weeks!

If the back of the panels are the same as the front, you should space them out from the wall at least 50mm to increase their effectiveness.

druu said:
If the back of the panels are the same as the front, you should space them out from the wall at least 50mm to increase their effectiveness.
MUCH more effective to have them tilted.

Back