Majestic12 builds Drip Fairchild 670

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majestic12

I know, it's insane, expensive and it would probably kill me.....

but I just started to work on a Drip 670 clone a few days ago. I noticed that there was a 20% christmas discount on the PCB, so I couldn't resist....

The monster project made out of 20 tubes and at least 20kg of transformers will probably go throughout whole 2012 since I don't have the time and budget to do it all in one rush.

I will keep posting photos (and also sometimes asking for help...) as the project goes on, so stay tuned...

First of all...manual, documentations and the schematic printed out in poster size....

4r2bs7.jpg

the tube sockets already have arrived...

20qz3mx.jpg

Right now I'm waiting for the PCB to arrive, as well as few things from mouser....

I'll be building this for someone sometime this year.

What transformers will you be using? Sowter? They have a complete package £1,295.68 (ex VAT & Shipping!)

http://www.sowter.co.uk/acatalog/SOWTER_TRANSFORMERS_PRO_VINTAGE_TRANSFORMERS_5.html#a259

Well, I think I will use the complete Sowter transformer package but I'm not quite sure about it yet. It would be less expensive to use the Hammond power transformer etc... and I don't think they will be less good than the Soweter models.

At the time it was out, i remember that finding a case for the PCB was kind of a PITA,
and the only one available was the one Drip used himself, can't remember the Brand
available from Mouser i think..
What are the new infos about that, sorry didn't search around  :p ::)

They have a complete package £1,295.68 (ex VAT & Shipping!)

ouch, haha...

They actually seem to have a Cross like configuration on the PCB, funny.

Good luck BTW.

There was a group buy from diy racked. I ordered a case that fits exactly the pcb.

o5ck0y.jpg

There is also an additional hole and scale to set the ratio directly from the frontpanel and not having to use a screwdriver....

The person for whom I'll be building the drip has ordered this case as well. I keep my fingers crossed.. :eek:
The DIY racked cases do not have a good reputation in terms of firmness.
Also, kinda weird to put + 3000 euro in parts in a crappy 150 euro case like that...but yes, it's the only option apart from having it made custom for you which would probably be way more expensive (but worth it IMHO).
Also, it's a pity that Drip designed it in such a way that everything is on 1 PCB. I much rather would have build this thing in a vertical fasion than horizontal as it is now.

Oh found the name, Drip used Bud Industries case that seem to come in 3 parts solid bottom / vented top / and the case,
Cost about 150Dollars from what he told me then, and is available at Mouser/Allied and Par-Metal.
Not sure about the Model tough, but that must be easy to find, for who would be interested...

Well, I haven't seen any case from diy racked yet, so I also keep my fingers crossed... some time ago I read that some people had some problems with the cases but I can't remember what it was exactly. Was it the overall quality or something else ? I don't wanna put something so special and expensive in an inferior case....
I haven't thought about a custom case yet.

Majestic12 said:
Well, I haven't seen any case from diy racked yet, so I also keep my fingers crossed... some time ago I read that some people had some problems with the cases but I can't remember what it was exactly.

I haven't thought about a custom case yet.

Just be careful....if you assemble it in one go your fine.
Every time you take it apart and re-assemble, the structural integrity will weaken.

radiance said:
zayance said:
22"Deep Series  :eek:

22 deep + an Edcor power tranny mounted on the back....no way this will hold when hung in a rack.

True, but after spending that much i won't be the one to hide all this in a rack,
Cut big holes on the side saying "check that out" with some big arrows hahaha just in front of the Studio entry...
No but when you make this you want to show off don't you? And actually if i had the idea of making one (wich is not the case)
I would certainly go Custom, and would make all the back visible coming out of the Panel, using Bud's ventilated top for ex...
And front panel with Triangle attachments or something like that to the case etc etc etc  bling bling as all this :)

Front engraved or not, i actually liked the Dymo tapes on Drip's build, and Dymo is not my favourite stuff for panels,
but adds something funny to it...

Actually looking at the screws on the rack he seem to have racked it so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nK6UAflmRE

I'm starting the same project too.. really giddy can't wait for the PCB to arrive. Still thinking how to finance the transformers and tubes :)

Regarding Purusha cases, I have quite a few and the 3U redd I have a pair of was kind of my first real build. I must have dismantled those things quite a few times for debugging, adding phantom, attenuators, fixing grounding etc and the cases are still very solid. I don't think I detected much change from what they were when new.

Full disclosure: I'm from Slovenia, the same as Purusha, but let's not mix that in. Just thought to say outright so.

"Good hunting" man!  Looking forward to seeing your progress as I've got one "on deck" here as well.

Wish there were a source for those faceplates on this side of the pond.  I saw an FPD file floating around but...  Just seems silly to be shipping stuff all over the world.  Not very "green"...

And a 22" deep rack with that mass of trannies...  You really need rails.  Like PC server rails.  And dual sided racks ( front and back rails).  Otherwise, you're looking at 14ga minimum (repeat the word custom) for the actual chassis and a front plate thats thicker than, well...

Cheers!

Yes to that, consider that RCA and others built their chassis from heavy steel, with welded angle brackets re-inforcing the front panel to chassis base attachment.
A mild aluminum case with a few screws attaching the front panel will NEVER withstand being (front mount only) racked & moved with this kind of weight in it.
With the amount of $ and time you will be putting into this, do not skimp here ;)

Let's just wait until the case is here at my place. But I keep in mind that this would probably be an big issue....

Latest posts

Back