Majestic12 builds Drip Fairchild 670

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered the Sowters for my 660, been chipping away building it as loot permits-I'm using an old UPS case-the DIY panels appear to be labeled differently than the origonal-the meter switch should read Bal-Zero-Bal!  ?

Good Luck, someday I would like to build one of those monsters.  I've mixed through the real thing a few times and it is great great great...

:) :)

Actually looking at the screws on the rack he seem to have racked it so....

whoops said nothing, forgot about the Fpd attachment  ::)

http://www.dripelectronics.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=1988&Itemid=41

BTW...

Somebody just posted in the diy racked forum that there is probably a mistake at the meter select section in the purusha frontpanel....he thinks that the Bal select is missing.

The original unit has Bal - Zero - Bal  the case I have ordered has In - GR - Out

What exactly is ment to be seen on the meter at the different positions in the original unit? I always thought it would be input Signal - Gain Reduction - Output Signal, just like it is written on the new frontpanel...

To quote page 60 of gregs 660 manual;_
the metering switch has 3 positions
1. BAL : this position will display the balance of the one side of the tube set on the vu meter
2. ZERO : this position will be used to monitor the gain reduction on the vu meter
2. BAL : this position will display the balance of the other side of the tube set on the vu meter
you will use the ‘BAL’ positions in tandem with the ‘cathode balance adjust’
to achieve a proper cathode balance,
but in all reality , it either ‘thumps’ or it doesn’t.
you can actually just adjust the cathode balance till it stops thumping while
compressing , it will be obvious when it is and when it isn’t in thump mode.
your ears and this feature will be very helpful obtaining optimum performance.
zero adj
you will use the zero adjust to place the vu meters needle at zero.
normally you will let the unit warm up for about 15 minutes then
set the meter to zero.

PCB is here....holy sh*t.....never seen anything like this in my life :D

fn7hhy.jpg

Well....let's begin:

Drip recommends to first add the spacers on the bottom of the pcb but since I don't have the case yet I started with the tube sockets.

Most of the sockets won't fit the pcb first, you will have to use needle nose plyers to slightly bend the pins towards the center. I also had to use a small file to make some of the pins smaller (just a 10th of a milimeter...) to fit them easily into the holes

d9l7a.jpg

fyyr5.jpg

You can't mess anything up with the 7 and 9 pole sockets, but you have to make sure that the 8 pole sockets are aligned the right way.

Unfortunately that's it for now. No other parts have arrived yet...

Majestic12 said:
PCB is here....holy sh*t.....never seen anything like this in my life :D

Right it's crazy!!!! that being said little scary hanging it in a rack so I built a little rolly cart for mine to move between our different rooms

take your time and check stuff off as you go I placed 1 jumper not meant to be their gave me and greg a week of headache.

Well, I think I have put the whole thing in its own rack. It's so deep, it won't fit in anyone of the racks I own....

The cases seem to be ready and will be shipped soon. Can't wait to get mine....

Here are a few pics from diy racked....

670-front3.jpg

670-proto2.jpg

Case arrived today...

Some screws are too long and the time constant pcbs have to be mounted on the side panel....but the case itself is really heavy duty. I'm sure it can take the weight of all the expensive stuff mounted to it :)

211qrlz.jpg

hI there
This is going to be a great read, i researched buying a real 670 most of last year, and also the clones out there like the Unfairchild and the Drip and the anamod,
I wish i had the time and the Skill to build one, but i don't.

If anybody is building one of these for somebody and your customer runs into money troubles I'm interested in taking over the project from the position of funding and purchase.
cheers
steve

I just love the look of the frontpanel....

30skrxu.jpg

I also got a bunch of parts for the pcb, but had no time to work on it yet.

I am also interested in those knobs for a friend of mine who is building a Drip 670 ..... if it is something that we can buy in bulk then I would consider making them a stock part.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Back