removing deep and light sctraches out of aluminum(how do I)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

wondering what is the best way to go about this. The piece in question is a top cover of a rack unit that was not even clear coated.  The cover has some light scratches but also has a deep scratch where some knuckle head carved the letter A. Obviously it's ugly and I would like to remove the scratches. However I may like to keep unpainted bare aluminum, I am still debating on that. Main thing is the scratch removal. Now am I correct to think that my approach will be different if I paint it in the end vs not painting it?

Should I just use an orbital sander with good enough grit and sand it down like one would do for wood then paint it?

If you are going to paint it, then you can simply fill the deep scratch. Yes, you can use and orbital sander and sand it just like wood. Keep working your way through to finer grit until you get the finish you want if you choose not to paint.

peterc said:
What is the other side like? Can you flip it over if it will fit?

no. it has a top and sides and is one whole piece.

gyraf said:
Wouldn't cutting a new top cover be quicker and easier?

Maybe.

Ptownkid said:
If you are going to paint it, then you can simply fill the deep scratch. Yes, you can use and orbital sander and sand it just like wood. Keep working your way through to finer grit until you get the finish you want if you choose not to paint.

thanks for that. I sanded it down till the scratches were removed. then I used rubbing compound  like for a car and polished it up nicely. Not perfect but better then having to paint it. looks nice now as before looked horrible.

thanks for the responses gentlemen

Ptownkid said:
Keep working your way through to finer grit until you get the finish you want if you choose not to paint.

Yep. 
Also, once you've worked your way down to finer grits, you can then switch to one of those abrasive cleaning pads (Scotch Brite) if you want a nice fine grain on the piece at the end.  Just pull or push it along the length of the aluminium in straight lines, working your way across the width with each pass.  I've refinished a few old Zeiss camera lens housings with those pads after taking care of the bigger scratches with a bit of emery.  The lenses came out looking better than they were when new in 1945.

Latest posts

Back